pinkie lifts

wguitarg
wguitarg
02/12/2002 4:31 am
Hey everybody,

I've been playing guitar for roughly 1 year now, and I've delved a bit into music theory, attempted to learn as much as possible regarding modes, scales, intervals, chords, and how they relate, and I believe it has helped A LOT with my improvisation. Now, I can alternate pick pretty fast on one string, but I feel that when I play scales, my pinkie is rising up at least an 1 inch off the fretboard, which I believe is hindering my speed a lot. Does anyone have any suggestionsa on how to fix this problem? I can't seem to keep my fingers close enoguh to the strings.

Thanks.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/12/2002 6:19 am
I've been playing on-and-off for about 34 years now, and whenever I'm learning something new that involves a lot of pinky action, my left hand starts to look like a spastic spider! :D

After I get more familiar with it, my coordination smooths out. I expect you will have the same experience.

Relax. Enjoy.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/12/2002 7:43 am
Try a chromatic excercise as follows:

D_________________5_6_7_8 etc...
A_________5_6_7_8________
E_5_6_7_8________________

Upwards and downwards again. and when changing the string do NOT lift your fingers off the lower string.
So you play 5_6_7_8 and LEAVE the fingers on the strings!

only lift the index-finger and finger the first note of the second string while the other 3 fingers still fret the 6_7_8 on the lower string. Then the middle-finger, ring-finger and pinkie. Economy! Move the fingers ONLY when necessary - avoid overexaggerated movements. Try not to lift any of your fingers more than 1 or 2 mm off a string.

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
Thomas Schellhous
Thomas Schellhous
02/13/2002 2:39 am
Hey wguitarg.

I have the same exact problem. I have a friend that I met back in high school who can play scales at lightning speed and his hand looks like it is hardly moving at all. I have tried to get that down but it is freaking hard. I think the best way to do it is to practice the stuff like Azrael posted earlier a lot, and I mean A LOT. I have improved by using this kind of exercise, but my pinky still freaks out. It is just a matter of practicing control in moving your fingers separately one at a time without moving the others.

Thomas
# 4
Thomas Schellhous
Thomas Schellhous
02/13/2002 2:58 am
Hey wguitarg.

I have the same exact problem. I have a friend that I met back in high school who can play scales at lightning speed and his hand looks like it is hardly moving at all. I have tried to get that down but it is freaking hard. I think the best way to do it is to practice the stuff like Azrael posted earlier a lot, and I mean A LOT. I have improved by using this kind of exercise, but my pinky still freaks out. It is just a matter of practicing control in moving your fingers separately one at a time without moving the others.

Thomas
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.