Alex Lifeson Style

Rockwontdie
Rockwontdie
09/04/2010 12:51 am
Hey guys I'm 14 years old and I have been playing classic rock stuff and prog-ish stuff for years now and I seem to love Alex Lifeson's playing style the most out of any other guitarist. I've always wanted to incorporate his soloing style into my own playing. Can anyone lead me down the right path as to know how to improvise his guitar solo style into my playing? I've learned how to play his iconic solos such as Tom Sawyer, Most of Working man, and limelight. If anyone could help me to improvise his guitar solo style into my playing that would be awesome.

Thanks!!
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/04/2010 1:01 am
Sorry I can't help you but I do want to give you some mad props for being 14 years old and recognizing the awesomeness of Alex and RUSH. he is an often overlook guitarist. One of my all time favorites.

GOOD ON YOU MY MAN... GOOD ON YOU. :D
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Rockwontdie
Rockwontdie
09/04/2010 1:33 am
Thanks man. He's the bomb. BTW I'm going to see them live Sept. 14 at TD Garden in Boston I can't wait!
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/04/2010 2:07 am
Seen them a few times. They put on a fantastic show. You will enjoy it!
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
caponi14
caponi14
09/04/2010 6:05 am
I know what you mean man, i am trying to do the same thing with Slash and it's going pretty good.
I can't help you with his style man, but i can give you some advice. You know what?
Keep doing what your doing! If it's his style you want, your gonna get it some day!
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/04/2010 12:33 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerI do want to give you some mad props for being 14 years old and recognizing the awesomeness of Alex and RUSH.

I was also impressed by this. Alex seems like a really decent guy in person (from interviews I've seen) and has a sense of humour. Not sure if you folks ever watched the Trailer Park Boys, but he did an episode with them. Pretty funny. He's down to earth.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 6
Rockwontdie
Rockwontdie
09/04/2010 1:59 pm
Hes so awesome I know. I wish to meet him some day. But on the other hand, does anyone have advice as to how I could improvise his style into my own playing?
# 7
shayman1
shayman1
09/05/2010 4:41 pm
I'd say that with Alex Lifeson there isn't much improvising. I think he's one of those guitarists who actually works out his soloing, so maybe 'improvising' is the wrong approach. I remember reading an interview with him in the mid 80's when Rush were at their peak and he more or less said that he literally works at a solo phrase by phrase, quite often at the time of making the recording. Great guitarist to have as a mentor though.

You should also check out Kim Mitchell from a band called Max Webster. They were very good friends of Rush and made an album with them called Universal Juveniles.
# 8
Rockwontdie
Rockwontdie
09/05/2010 7:34 pm
Ok thanks! Except for Freewill lol he just goes nuts on that one. :p
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2010 3:17 am
When I graduated from school in 2007, I got really, really into the guitar playing of Bill Frisell. Later on, I really started liking other players like John Mayer, Jeff Parker (Tortoise), among many many others. I am always trying to learn about new guitarists and trying to emulate what they do and work it into my own voice.

My point in sharing that in relation to your question is that if you listen and learn enough, it will show. There really isn't a "go to method" for getting that vibe into your playing other than to continue doing what your doing and trust me, it will show to those around you. It is hard honestly to gauge that sort of thing yourself, so it is best to ask for feedback from your peers and such in regards to how you sound. I can't help but play like the players I like because I have listened to them a TON and through the listening experience I am channeling that vibe in how I play.

Keep learning the licks, and listening to the music and I assure you you will be improvising in that style before you know it. Perhaps you already are.
Douglas Showalter
# 10
Jarsew
Jarsew
10/01/2010 4:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterWhen I graduated from school in 2007, I got really, really into the guitar playing of Bill Frisell. Later on, I really started liking other players like John Mayer, Jeff Parker (Tortoise), among many many others. I am always trying to learn about new guitarists and trying to emulate what they do and work it into my own voice.

My point in sharing that in relation to your question is that if you listen and learn enough, it will show. There really isn't a "go to method" for getting that vibe into your playing other than to continue doing what your doing and trust me, it will show to those around you. It is hard honestly to gauge that sort of thing yourself, so it is best to ask for feedback from your peers and such in regards to how you sound. I can't help but play like the players I like because I have listened to them a TON and through the listening experience I am channeling that vibe in how I play.

Keep learning the licks, and listening to the music and I assure you you will be improvising in that style before you know it. Perhaps you already are.
Well said! Frankly, I always get a tad annoyed when people ask how to play a certain guitarist' style; "Just listen to their music and learn their songs!" is always my reaction, but you said it better than I :rolleyes:

We may as well just copy and paste your post whenever we get a thread like this :p
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.