wandering pick

Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
09/03/2010 10:47 am
I'm having trouble controlling the pick. As I'm playing, it starts to move around. I've tried to lightly sand it to give it some grit, but I still have troubles with it. I'm holding it the way that Christopher teaches in his lessons; between the thumb and index finger, but alas, the pick wanders away into it's own little world.

Is there a magic cure for this, or are my picks possessed by some evil influence?
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 1
Bluepick1956
Bluepick1956
09/03/2010 11:49 am
Well, I am not a fan of artificial aids, but if you just can't get it, they do make some stuff called gorilla snot (no joke) that is very sticky. It is made for drummers to help hold their sticks, and they also recommend it for holding picks.
But I would try to get it to work without first. It just takes practice. You can't play sports without strength training, and your fingers are no different.
# 2
J.STEELE
J.STEELE
09/03/2010 12:47 pm
Try using a smaller pick, I use the planet waves Black Ice picks for lead playing, It's a little bigger than a jazz pick, also try using Star Picks, they have a hole in the middle for extra grip. you could use the Dunlop Tortex, they are a little rough. Try to get the edge of the pick to back into the crease of your first knuckle on the side of your index finger,and just use the very tip of the pick, holding it on an angle across the strings. I hope this helps you out. Keep at it.
# 3
haze12
haze12
09/04/2010 4:05 am
Try a thin nylon pick .Once I drilled a couple small holes in my pick witch helped . I've read about using a small dot of sand paper or skate board tape glued to one side of the pick . You will get by this in time where any pick will do .Hang in there .
# 4
Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
09/18/2010 11:28 am
I offer a big thank you to those who offered suggestions for my problem. I chose to keep practicing with the pick, and I've finally solved the problem. I'd thought about drilling a hole in it, or using different sizes of picks, but I decided that was not attacking the problem dead on. The only way to cure the problem was by learning to use what I have. It took some time, but I now have no problems.
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 5
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
09/20/2010 2:42 pm
There is something called ticky tack or fun tack...its a blue or white putty type material used to put posters up on a wall without putting tack holes. I rip a small piece off and put it on my pick...works like a CHARM. Pick goes nowhere! You can get it in the food store in the school supply section...
I also use a hole puncher to put holes in my picks. Originally to keep picks handy on my key chain. This way I am never without a pick. Turns out the hole helps the finger grip the pick better. Good luck!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.