Is it stagefright?

caponi14
caponi14
08/19/2010 10:29 pm
I want to ask, why is it that when you play live, you forget like half of the stuff you know?
You are just so much better when you play by yourself or what? Is it just me?
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
08/19/2010 11:18 pm
That happens to me too. When you play live your attention is split up and you're in the spotlight, this makes you think about a lot of things you aren't thinking about alone, practicing.

Also, you're more 'in the moment' so that gives you less time for reflecting, remembering. The more you play with others, the easier it is to adjust to this difference and develop your 'wingin' it' skills!

This is also when notes come in REAL handy!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
ronniedebop
ronniedebop
08/20/2010 8:52 am
Hello Ronnie from scotland, happens to me too, have went up to do a couple of numbers in pub, and have just went to pieces, shakes memory loss etc luckily I play the blues and just talk nonsense over the easy blues chords. anyway Clapton said one time that playing in pubs you only get the punters attention for a minute or so per number as opposed to a concert where everyone is listening with intent, so keep at it they can't shoot you for it, and remember the object is to ENJOY
best of luck Ronnie
# 3
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
08/25/2010 10:58 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14I want to ask, why is it that when you play live, you forget like half of the stuff you know?
You are just so much better when you play by yourself or what? Is it just me?

That's just how it is with me too. I have occasional 1 on 1 lessons where there is really no pressure but when I'm showing how I've learned a tune I go to pieces! It's an elusive skill.

On my own I can play in time with a metronome and record myself playing a tune in one take fairly decently but when it comes to showing what I can do to others it all goes out the window :eek:

I'm convinced though that there'll be a breakthrough at some point and it'll all become second nature to me. In the meantime I'll keep on enjoying playing and learning.

Good luck!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 4
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/27/2010 7:49 am
Hello everyone,
Stagefright would keep you from doing it, but you didn't say anything about quitting. I think it's just a matter of not being comfortable with everything you're playing. As Neal said there many added factors in a performance, so you may not remember everything you want to play. Hundreds of times I've thought about a lick I wish I'd played in a song, and just make a mental note to use it next time.

Another thing that makes it easier is knowing several ways to play the same notes. Having plenty of riffs will make it easier too, then you won't feel like you've used every trick you have. You're just a little nervous, this will change as you get more comfortable being on stage. It's not as hard to play what you want to play, when you're not worried about playing what you know.

Have a great weekend, and hit the stage everytime you can.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.