Information about pitch training

dlouiselmt
dlouiselmt
08/19/2010 2:19 pm
Hi,
I would like some information about learning how to recognize different tones by ear. Any help in that area would be great. Thanks

Donna
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/19/2010 2:26 pm
I think LisaMcC has a program for that. Maybe try posting in her forum?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Jarsew
Jarsew
08/19/2010 5:22 pm
http://trainear.com/

Its not necessarily pitch training, but rather interval training. It plays two notes, one after another, and you have to guess how many intervals are in-between.

Ive read that perfect pitch is something quite difficult to learn, as well as time consuming. And even then, you probably wont be 100%. It pretty much comes down to genetics if you can or cant do it naturally. But I could be wrong, It would be nice for someone on this forum that has learned perfect pitch to chime in. I would definitely be interested in knowing how ya did it...

So learning the intervals by ear is a lot more practical in my opinion. Especially if you know your way around keys and scales, it gets really easy to find out what key a song is in. Then it comes down to knowing the intervals in order to figure the song out.

Well Im ranting now, but I have a friend that has that thing where when he hears certain notes, he will "see" certain colors. Forgot what its called... But I almost wish I had that honestly. Who knows how distracting it could get though.
# 3
cheebahawk215
cheebahawk215
08/20/2010 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: JarsewIve read that perfect pitch is something quite difficult to learn, as well as time consuming. And even then, you probably wont be 100%. It pretty much comes down to genetics if you can or cant do it naturally. But I could be wrong, It would be nice for someone on this forum that has learned perfect pitch to chime in. I would definitely be interested in knowing how ya did it...

I really like this site for everything theory related. It has good ear training apps also http://www.musictheory.net/

Regarding your comment, I have read that it is not possible to "learn" perfect pitch after a certain age. Basically, you would have needed to be exposed to a significant amount of music/training during your early and formative years. Somewhere between 3-5 years old. Depressing huh? Makes me mad at my parents.

What you can learn, is relative pitch. This means that instead of being able to hear a note and realize the name, you can tell the interval between two notes that are played back to back.

Again thought, I truly believe there is such a thing as tone deafness similar to color blindness. Some people just do not have the ability to distinguish different tones. This is why they sing out of tune. I don't think people suffering from this would be able to even learn relative pitch.
# 4
dlouiselmt
dlouiselmt
08/22/2010 1:01 am
Thanks you all for the input, I appreciate it.
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/23/2010 9:14 am
Hi!

I thought I'd post something too (after a few years =)

Truth is, you can learn it...

..but it is not "perfect pitch" by definition. Perfect pitch basically is something that some people seem to have by nature. About 10 percent of all musicians do have perfect pitch. Normally, when someone with PP hears a note, he/she also "sees" it in a specific color thus being able to determine what note it is. Not all of them are 100% accurate though. Some can determine a note with an accuracy of only a few cents while others are not as accurate and can only distinguish halftones.
Science does not definitely know whether or not is is a genetical thing. It seems, that the amount of those with PP varies from culture to culture. Members of tonal-languages are more likely to develope PP than those of non-tonal languages. In asia, for example, about half of all music students seem to have PP. It might depend on their hearing habits, because mandarin-chineese, for example, is a language that depends a lot on pitch variations.

As for someone without PP: You can learn something that is called "relative pitch". That is the ability, to determine intervals based on a root note. You can go as far as memorizing one reference note - say A 440 Hz. With enough practice you can memorize that tone well enough, that it works like a tuning-fork in your head. That means you hear a note that someone plays, then you 'activate' your reference A in your head and then you can tell the interval, thus determining what note has been played.
Of course this takes a lot of practice, but it definitely can get you very close to PP.

Btw - having perfect pitch is not a blessing by default nor is it something that one needs in order to be a successful musician. Actually a lot of people with PP find it rather unpleasant when playing transposed music because the written notes do not correspond to their hearing habit. I have also talked to some guys with PP who say that they cannot listen to a piece of music without analyzing every bit of it and hearing everything that is slightly out of tune as "wrong". So perhaps one should be happy without PP.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
dlouiselmt
dlouiselmt
09/07/2010 3:12 am
Thanks Azrael, the information you have given was helpful. Actually I was under the impression that in order to play well and with others I would need to know PP. The pressure is off, I'm not going to worry about. What I am thinking is that over time a person will pick up enough about this to hear what we need and be happy.
# 7
psylocke24
psylocke24
09/10/2010 8:19 am
Interesting, I am starting to know more about the tones and the perfect pitch. Thanks for the useful information.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.