Another Nebie question...

samata
samata
08/16/2010 5:18 pm
Hello again,

I have another question. I've looked for a video on it, but can't find one...

I've been practicing scales, but only using the first 5 frets and moving strings. For me building mechanics, this is helpful, and probably the way to go. But, as I looked at the C Major scale exercise here, It was using the higher frets and a single string more. I do realize that they are the same notes, and I suppose to some extent it's "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another". But, I was wondering if someone could speak to why you would or wouldn't use a single string and move higher on the fretboard as opposed to moving to an adjacent string before 5th fret (and vice versa) . Is it faster? Is this something that will serve me when I do more advanced stuff, etc?

This kind of strikes me as one of those things that I'd learn why by myself eventually, but can save some time and gain insight by asking. So I am :)

Thanks!
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/16/2010 7:05 pm
In playing the scale itself, it is just an alternate way to play it. But in the context of playing a song or a lick, it might make more sense to play the notes across the fretboard if the next thing you do is an open chord, or some note near that area. Alternatively, the next notes of the lick might be high on the fretboard, so being able to play the scale "in different directions" is a good thing. You would tend to use the one that is going to leave you where you want to be next.

It's like playing pool, if you have ever done that. Where you let the que ball end up after the shot is almost as important as the shot itself.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
samata
samata
08/17/2010 2:05 am
Originally Posted by: RazboIn playing the scale itself, it is just an alternate way to play it. But in the context of playing a song or a lick, it might make more sense to play the notes across the fretboard if the next thing you do is an open chord, or some note near that area. Alternatively, the next notes of the lick might be high on the fretboard, so being able to play the scale "in different directions" is a good thing. You would tend to use the one that is going to leave you where you want to be next.

It's like playing pool, if you have ever done that. Where you let the que ball end up after the shot is almost as important as the shot itself.

Okay, thank. That does make sense (and as a pool player, I got the analogy too :) )

I am just beginning to see too, and answer my own question. Even at my very novice level. I added a new song to work on tonight, It's very simple, but the first 8-10 bars is just up and down G-A-B. It was quickly obvious even to me that there was no reason to leave the G string at all like I have been in scales for the B. I think I understand now...

Thanks!
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.