Seeking Blank Fretboard Pages (5 fret max) & the Art of Practicing/Playing

BillCrandell
BillCrandell
07/12/2010 10:56 pm
Does anyone know where I can find some blank fretboard printout sheets online? They need only cover four to five frets max. I'm not wanting blank fretboard sheets like for scales that cover the entire neck or a large portion of the guitar neck. I understand I can cut blank guitar neck pages up into five fret pieces but I want space at the top and bottom of the five fret portion for writing root, third, fifth etc along with the chord name. Cutting Guitar neck pages does not allow this space. I looked in the tools section where the metronome and tuning fork are located thinking something like this might be in there. I want to cut them out like a deck of cards. I know that I can buy something like this but I want to make my own to help with memory. I might end up making them in Microsoft Word but would really like to find some already made up with a better looking format like in PDF.

I'm working on building chords using the major and minor scales as the videos in the fundamentals and elsewhere point out. I think to myself, "O.K. I'm in the key of G major. I can go to Em, D, Am, C etc." As I'm playing these chords, giving them differing emphasis, rhythmic patterns and so on, my brain is still having to 'think' about what chord I can play next, not to mention that I can play every chord in a number of different positions or shapes like small triads. (SIDE NOTE: I Just realized yesterday after learning some things on triads from this site that I can play three chords using the triad shapes all within a very small area of the neck and was really excited about this.) At this time in my playing, I am having to devote a large portion of my thinking to 'what' chords are available to me in any given key. I want to get away from this, certainly not entirely neglect it, and focus more on rhythm and time using a metronome. Of all the tips so far that I have learned in the last week as a new member is to use a metronome when playing or practicing alone. This is really forcing me to tighten up my chops and play cleanly. So rather than 'think' about what chord i can play next following this chord or that, i want that decision made using a pre-arranged chord sequence using my cutout chord diagrams. Giving my brain the time it needs to think of a chord always gets me off tempo and makes for loose and slow chord changing I'm finding. I would rather be forced to play tightly and in tempo rather than know x number of chords in x number of keys in x number of positions.

My reason for asking is that I would like to write out various chord shapes on them, cut them out and then arrange them in various orders to practice in different positions and find pleasing chord sequences. Then I can chart them onto one piece of paper, assigning x number of measure per chord and then I only need to see the chord, rather than think the chord. Once I have them diagrammed, then I can focus more brain power on developing a better sense of time so that hopefully, I no longer have to think about time but instead feel the time.

I realize I can purchase chord books and have a few, but I am wanting to write the chord shape out myself to help reinforce the note location on fretboard and note as it relates to the chord construction.

Thanks

Bill C
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/12/2010 11:10 pm
i only read the first 3 sentences, but I googled it and found some stuff, have you tried looking there?

http://www.classicalguitarreview.com/download%20pages/teachers-manuscript-kit-1.html

Download that free PDF and it has a couple pages with only the 1st position of the fretboard.

Or if you have MS Word or Excel, you can just draw a 5x6 grid that represents the fist 5 frets. Then just copy/paste that same grid as many times as you need with as much space as you want.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/13/2010 12:34 am
It's great you have some definite goals. Writing out the fretboard is recommended by many. If you just google something like 'blank fretboard' I imagine you find lots.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
BillCrandell
BillCrandell
07/13/2010 7:31 am
Thanks for the links. I got em.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.