Those "On" Days

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/04/2010 2:37 pm
We post a lot about having trouble with this or that. How about those days when you are on? When you are fully relaxed and everything just flows...

I've had a couple lately. Not that my playing is perfect, but I get into a zone where I'm totally relaxed, and time almost seems to slow. I know where I'm at and don't need to think about that, instead, I'm planning where I want to be next and how I'll get there.

I think an analogy might be driving. Like when you first start, it's a little overwhelming, all the things you need to be on top of: blinkers & brakes & clutches and not hitting anything lol. Then the mechanics of driving become second nature and you just start focusing on the road ahead.

It's like a little taste of what it must be like to be truly skilled. ....Someday.... :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/04/2010 3:30 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboHow about those days when you are on?[/quote]
Absolutely the best. :)
[QUOTE=Razbo]I've had a couple lately.

Good for you! Glad to hear you are enjoying playing.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/04/2010 4:18 pm
I haven't had one of those in a while. My fingers always seem tense when playing fast runs. Can never get that "flow".
# 3
Jarsew
Jarsew
06/04/2010 7:56 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboI think an analogy might be driving. Like when you first start, it's a little overwhelming, all the things you need to be on top of: blinkers & brakes & clutches and not hitting anything lol. Then the mechanics of driving become second nature and you just start focusing on the road ahead.

It's like a little taste of what it must be like to be truly skilled. ....Someday.... :)
Perfect analogy sir.

I realized I get into the zone easier when I am actually not concentrating on the guitar (just as the analogy of driving w/o having to focus on driving). For example ill be playing guitar while watching the Sopranos, and ill get into that flow. Perhaps that is the subconscious at work...?

I just remembered that long ago I read an interview from Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins. He said that he wrote a lot of their Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness album (arguably their best, or at least most successful... not the same thing!) while he was watching TV. Quite interesting isnt it...
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/06/2010 1:06 am
I haven't had a zone day in forever but that's due to the infrequency of practicing. Life is darned busy right now. I practice a little but not like the 'old days'.

For me, the zone always came after my formal practice regimen (warm up, scales, new technique, cool riff I wanted to work out), at the end of the formal part, I'd just let rip with improvised noodling most of the time. Sometimes it was short and ok other times I would be on autopilot and I could feel my playing intensity just amp up and it seemed my fingers were just running around on their own.

I think that once your in a good and musical head space and you're dexterity and knowledge meet that meet that opened 'head', then your fingers are just rollin' with that opened up flow of music.
# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2010 2:19 pm
The Zen of the Zone - I love those days! Don't you wish you could just conjure up that serendipity whenever you wanted to?
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
GuitarPlayer479
GuitarPlayer479
06/06/2010 3:25 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboWe post a lot about having trouble with this or that. How about those days when you are on? When you are fully relaxed and everything just flows...

I've had a couple lately. Not that my playing is perfect, but I get into a zone where I'm totally relaxed, and time almost seems to slow. I know where I'm at and don't need to think about that, instead, I'm planning where I want to be next and how I'll get there.

I think an analogy might be driving. Like when you first start, it's a little overwhelming, all the things you need to be on top of: blinkers & brakes & clutches and not hitting anything lol. Then the mechanics of driving become second nature and you just start focusing on the road ahead.

I'm still at the "blinkers & brakes & clutches and not hitting anything" stage (good analogy) - the other day I was showing my son my new guitar and failed miserably in demonstrating any skill. It set me back at the time but maybe one day I'll get in the zone when there's an audience rather than just when I'm on my own.
# 7
AlexTor
AlexTor
07/10/2010 3:48 am
The more advanced you become the more consistent you will get in your playing. In other words, the "on" days become like your regular days over time. So that's extra motivation to keep at it and keep going.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.