In a Nutshell – Delay

ren
ren
04/07/2010 10:53 pm

The world of effects is a vast and complex one, a world that remains a mystery to many but that we guitarists must master if we are to find our own sound. From wah to reverb, from flange to delay... the possibilities are endless, and this complexity is compounded with each additional link in the chain. Effects are available in many guises today, with rack-mounted devices and software on our computers; however, we will concentrate on good old fashioned pedals.

This time we'll look at delay, which is commonly used across many genres and will find itself on the pedalboard of all of your heroes.

The Science

The delay effect itself is simple – the input signal is recorded to some sort of electronic storage medium and then played back in addition to the input signal. It may be played back only once, or repeatedly so as to create an echoing and decaying delay.

The first delay effects were created with tape loops on reel-to-reel systems. By altering the length of the tape loops and adjusting the heads, engineers could alter the nature of the delay signal. Audio engineers soon got in on the act, creating dedicated audio effects to supplement their use of reverb to create echo effects. First available as rack mounted units from T.C Electronics, the first delay pedal effect was the DD-2 from BOSS in 1982.

In Use

Delay is popular with guitar players in many genres to give depth, and to create distinctive guitar sounds familiar to us today. With the cost of digital storage coming down over time, lengths of delay have increased and we move into the territory of the looper – whole phrases can be recorded and played back, allowing a guitarist to accompany him/herself. Steve Vai uses multiple delays to create a layered sound giving the impression of many guitarists performing. K.T Tunstall is also a good example – performing live and being her own backing band via a loop station. U2's 'Edge' uses delay to create his signature guitar sound (using more than one delay so that the different timings create a rhythm of their own), as do many others. I, like many players, just use delay habitually to the point that a good electric lead tone sounds thin or hollow without it. Flange, Chorus and Reverb are all delay-based sound effects. With flanging and chorus, the delay time is short and modulated. Reverb uses multiple delays and feedback so that individual echoes are blurred together, mimicking the sound of an acoustic space.

Products

Delay pedals come in many guises and at many price points. The Ibanez DE-7 is a good choice for a first foray in to the world of delay. It has a good mix of features and the range of control available means you can dial in many options in what is one of the lowest cost units on the market. The BOSS DD-7 is slightly more expensive, but in common with the rest of the range will probably still be going post-nuclear apocalypse. It too has a range of features but I'd probably recommend the Ibanez over it solely on cost, performance is very similar and I found the number of controls and tweaks available on the DD-7 overwhelming – spending more time messing with delay than actually playing. I personally like the BOSS DD-3, finding the controls intuitive and the effects produced to be usable and versatile, a simpler alternative. If money is no object, the T.C Electronics Nova Delay is pretty much unbeatable in my opinion – studio quality based on the mega-bucks rack units the company is famous for, but then at $345 or £200 list price, it had better be good. I should also note that I broke mine pretty quickly, and went back to the DD-3.

So if you haven't got one in your signal chain already, delay no further.... check out delay. (sorry!)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
Jonnny
Jonnny
04/09/2010 5:18 pm
what is your opinion of the Memory Man with Hazarai
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/10/2010 12:36 am
Great article. Thanks for all the info.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
ren
ren
04/13/2010 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Jonnnywhat is your opinion of the Memory Man with Hazarai

Hi Jonny,

I've had a demo on one, and I found the features (although extensive) a little complicated. Silly little things like switches changing function between modes made it less useful to me. You can get some useable sounds out of it, no question about that, but I feel it falls in to the same camp as the DD-7 in that I'd spend more time playing with it than playing guitar. However, what is a negative to me may be a positive to you. For instance you can turn all the delay settings down to zero and use it as a 30 second loop station - could be a nice addition to the more standard delay settings.

Joe Satriani uses one, so they must be decent. I'd suggest giving one a go and seeing what you think - as yours is obviously the most important opinion. If you buy one, be sure to post a review on the forum! :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Jonnny
Jonnny
04/13/2010 7:07 pm
Well not really knowing what I am doing anyway I have played with it a lot.
You are right it can sometimes get to be where it is more time consuming, and it is fun, to try to get unique sounds out of it. I then realized I used a buncho of time when I could have been improving my basic playing skills.
The delay part of it is the pat I wanted your opinion on as I have not used others and in comparison was curious how the sound and delay features stood up to the other delays available.
That is interesting what you have to say about the control;s changing functions.
I did live sound for most of the Elektra Asylum artist for many years and having that sound background may have made this switching process easier for me and it is only recently that I decided to learn to play guitar.

I can assure you that one can waste a ton of time playing with it but it is has some very interesting sounds that it creates.

Hey thank you for taking the time to respond.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.