Harmonic minor scale.

caponi14
caponi14
03/24/2010 5:57 pm
Hello :)

I would be very happy if one of you instructors would do a lesson on how to solo with the ''Harmonic minor scale''

And maybe a lesson on how to do emotional solos, like which notes are good to bend and stuff like that? You know what i mean....

That would be awesome :)
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2010 12:16 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14I would be very happy if one of you instructors would do a lesson on how to solo with the ''Harmonic minor scale''

I show how to incorporate the harmonic minor scale in a solo in a basic way in this improvisation tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=491

I have some harmonic minor licks in this tutorial:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=213

And I have some lessons filmed on using harmonic minor to shred ala Malmsteen. I haven't had time to edit & post them yet though. Stay tuned!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2010 7:14 pm
The use of Harmonic minor very much depends on the musical situation. I honestly don't use this much, but it is a very stylistic scale that works well in some musical situations and equally not so much in others. Like all other scales, don't feel confined to use it in a strict way; as conviction and a creative ear can make something you didn't think was practical work very well. Christopher has some great videos on this stuff. Take what you learn from him, and mix it with your own interests. Be creative and more importantly, have fun!

To be more emotional? There are many, many ways to integrate bending and other techniques that make you sound more like a vocalist. But, only you can inject the emotion into the solo that you want. One thing you can try and do to evoke this idea is to transcribe singers. Tre Anastasio from Phish used to learn Billie Holiday (famous jazz singer) songs and would learn all her vocal lines on the guitar. With the blues, the solo is a conversation piece. The deeper connection between the human voice and the guitar is, to me, what demonstrates the clearest emotion. Also, if you want to play like that put yourself in a state where you are thinking about something that clearly brings out something in you. Eddie Hazel played one of the greatest solos ever on Parliament Funkadelic's album "Maggot Brain" on the title track (in my opinion.) While in the studio, George Clinton asked Hazel while soloing to picture a scenario where his mother has just died. This resulted in a solo that evokes a whole slew of emotional noise. You can check out that song at the link below.

Parliament Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Douglas Showalter
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.