Am I wrong in my thinking?

slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/14/2010 6:26 pm
My wife and I discussed for a while me buying a guitar and starting to take lessons and both agreed it was the right time in my life (early midlife chrisis I supose). So i went down to our local music store and bought a first act me475 electric guitar, and you would swear I committed a crime when I tell people that.

Now that being said, I realize it not the best quality out there, but I just couldn't justify spending alot of money when I am just starting out. I want to play for a year and upgrade when I feel I have earned it. Can someone explain to me where I am wrong in my thinking?

And FYI, I have upgraded a few things, I took that dinky little amp and ebayed it for two bucks and bought a Roland Cube X-15 (amazingly loud) and I took those crappy strings off and put on some Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom strings, huge difference in tuning, actually stays in tune now. Happy playing :-)
# 1
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/14/2010 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: slimmetalpickinNow that being said, I realize it not the best quality out there, but I just couldn't justify spending alot of money when I am just starting out. I want to play for a year and upgrade when I feel I have earned it. Can someone explain to me where I am wrong in my thinking? )

From my experience: can be your wife disagrees on that? :rolleyes:

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 2
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/14/2010 6:58 pm
Carmine,

I think I might have to plead the 5'th on that brother lol....
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/14/2010 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: slimmetalpickin... I just couldn't justify spending alot of money when I am just starting out. I want to play for a year and upgrade when I feel I have earned it. Can someone explain to me where I am wrong in my thinking?

That guitar will do you fine until you know enough to know better. :) You will know when it is time to upgrade! If you are not sure, go to a geet store and try a couple.

If you want an opinion, drop that geet and get a Squier (any squier), or Epiphone Special II. Consider your music style, then make a choice.

You night get along fine with that guitar. But you should be planning for an upgrade. IMO. (And btw, I am huge fan of the Epi II.)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/14/2010 9:27 pm
Ya, I don't see the need for going to a pawn shop unless you know what you're looking for and hoping to find something valuable. Guitar Center or any local shop should have great beginner packages/guitars to start on at the same price.
# 5
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/14/2010 9:27 pm
I agree with Razbo, discover first which style you like to express yourself and then get a good one.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 6
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/15/2010 2:28 am
Anyone here familiar with a company called Davison Guitars? I found one today and the salesman told me it normally retails for 499.99 but it is on clearance for 129.99 to make room for new stock, now I am in the retail business and understand new stock, but am not sure about the guitar. Any help or advise would be appreciated... Thanks
# 7
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/15/2010 3:50 am
To be totally honest with you, you do not need that new guitar. You do not need any new guitar until you can play the one you have to its very limits. Sound quality does matter even to a beginner but honestly for a long time you are going to be playing scales and basic chords, for that you do not need top of the line tuners and screaming humbuckers. If you have the means it is not a crime to buy more instrument then you can possibly use but it is certainly not needed.

I started playing on a Fender Squire acoustic I bought brand new for $85. Did it sound good? to me it did. Did it last me? yeah for over a year until I pushed it to it's limits as far as sound goes. Same thing went for my first electric, a sub $200 total kit, I still have it and I still play it sometimes. Use what you have until you need absolutely NEED better.
God said to Abraham, ā€œKill me a sonā€
Abe says, ā€œMan, you must be puttinā€™ me onā€
God say, ā€œNo.ā€ Abe say, ā€œWhat?ā€
God say, ā€œYou can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me cominā€™ you better runā€
Well Abe says, ā€œWhere do you want this killinā€™ done?ā€
God says, ā€œOut on Highway 61ā€
# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/15/2010 3:51 am
Originally Posted by: slimmetalpickinAnyone here familiar with a company called Davison Guitars? I found one today and the salesman told me it normally retails for 499.99 but it is on clearance for 129.99 to make room for new stock, now I am in the retail business and understand new stock, but am not sure about the guitar. Any help or advise would be appreciated... Thanks

I don't think he's giving you the deal of the century:
http://www.musiciansdiscountwarehouse.com/elguit1001991.html

It's a case of 'suggested retail' being no such thing as they would never actually retail for that price. It appears that the average price is 150.00.

If you're going to spend a little more cash, I'd suggest as Razbo did, going with a Squire or Epiphone. They are products of the big manufacturer's Fender and Gibson respectively and you know what you're going to get. In the end, it's a product you can trust.

Squire:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratAffRMB/

Epiphone:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENJREBCH/

Key to it all no matter the cost is that the instrument has to make you want to play it. While I don't disagree with the theory and that you should not go out and buy a 2000.00 Les Paul right off the bat, you still need to have an instrument that makes you want to play with it. If what you have now does that, then you're cool. If it make you feel like you have to fight it while playing, time to look elsewhere. The name on the headstock means nothing. It's a matter of enjoyment.
# 9
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/17/2010 10:13 pm
Thank you all for the great advice. After a lot of research, I finally went with a B.C. Rich Virgo Celtic, black in color. I had my hands on a few different strats and Epi's, and although they were very nice, they just weren't the guitar's for me. I was somewhat frustrated and the guy handed me the B.C. Rich, Now I thought B.C. Rich, yeah right, this will cost me a fortune, I was wrong, it was was on sale for $349.99 and he threw in a 15 watt practice amp for free. It was all brand new to... Guitar Center Rocks. (sorry if i'm not supposed to say their name) This guitar just felt right from the moment I picked it up. And the sound is pretty rockin, noticeably different from my first act.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.