Learning to play changes a man...

JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/13/2010 4:24 am
When I first picked up the guitar a couple of years ago, all I could think of was shredding the fret board like my favorite heavy metal and rock bands that my be why I failed the first time. Now that I can play the instrument my intentions and passions have totally changed. I can not get enough blues! The sound is something I do not know how to put in to words.

When I play blues licks and build solo's it feels like telling a story. The only thing I can say is learning to play this instrument has changed me as a person, in a very positive way. I find myself building blues licks in my head when working or even sitting around with the family, I am hooked!

No matter how crappy my day was, I can come home pick up my Schecter Diamond Series Solo-6 and play it all away, instantly feeling better about being me. I can't thank you folks enough for making this site and introducing me to my new passion... good ole fashioned blues.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/13/2010 5:24 am
I find that discovering and exploring different types of music is what helps build me as a musician. I'm finding new stuff I never new existed and even going back to basics sometimes helps you learn new things to add to your abilities.
# 2
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
03/13/2010 11:15 am
Hey JStewart

Great post!

I naturally, due to my tastes, started the rock primer when I'd finished the fundamentals but I was thinking of doing the blues primer next. I reckoned it would be a sort of refresher and something different also. You've made my mind up for definite, I might dip into the blues course a bit before I reach the end of the rock course to mix it up a bit.

Passion in music. Great stuff!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/13/2010 12:26 pm
Originally Posted by: JStewart
No matter how crappy my day was, I can come home pick up my Schecter Diamond Series Solo-6 and play it all away, instantly feeling better about being me. I can't thank you folks enough for making this site and introducing me to my new passion... good ole fashioned blues.

Good words.

Too many people do not have a positive and personal aspect of life that is a real passion. They work, worry and stress without a daily-available outlet to gather and release positive energy. Whether it's contemplating a song, a solo, new purchase (even just fantasy ;)), new builds or components ...., or literally just picking up the guitar and blowing the blues away, I think we are healthier for taking this opportunity at whatever level we can.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
norsh3
norsh3
03/13/2010 4:33 pm
i love my fender and always play to get out of a slump
# 5
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/14/2010 6:15 pm
Awesome words, I have found that since I have started playing the guitar, I sleep better at night. I don't know if it relaxes me or what, but my wife told me there is a peaceful calm that I have never had before. So it does change a person. I just wish I would have taken the time 25 years ago and done it.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2010 11:21 pm
Make sure you check out Anders' Blues Level 2. If some of the stuff is tricky, go back to Blues Level 1. But, do yourself a favor and check out his awesome playing as his blues chops are authentic as you get. Great insight into all styles of Blues and his playing is great. Enjoy!

Blues Level 2 w/ Anders Mouridsen
Douglas Showalter
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/17/2010 1:42 am

It's cool to hear someone really start diggin' the instrument. It's funny how the blues has that way of getting everyone in one way or another. I think even the great rock shredders have some fairly deep basis in blues...maybe it's that thing that happens when the amp is plugged in and that singing note is just so irresistible...Glad you're diggin' it.
# 8
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
03/17/2010 2:26 am
Well time post too. This weekend I decided to focus on the Blues lessons after previously skipping around between just about everything. I am about 1/2 way through Blues 1. Things slowed down when I got to the dominant 7th chords.
# 9
Jarsew
Jarsew
03/17/2010 6:25 pm
Originally Posted by: JStewartWhen I first picked up the guitar a couple of years ago, all I could think of was shredding the fret board like my favorite heavy metal and rock bands that my be why I failed the first time. Now that I can play the instrument my intentions and passions have totally changed. I can not get enough blues! The sound is something I do not know how to put in to words.

Perhaps you weren't listening to the right metal or rock? Haha Im just joking.

But there is such a plethora of metal bands these days, I wouldn't throw them all in the same bag and toss it in the trash can. Metal is the only reason why I still play guitar. When I first started playing I was doing Green Day and just "punk" in general. But then I actually started getting serious with guitar. So naturally, I got extremely bored with playing the same ol power chords.

It eventually got to where I happen to love anything where metal was influenced by progressive rock and classical. Randy Rhodes I will always love. Porcupine Tree is incredible. Opeth still stands as my favorite band. The newer Canadian band Protest The Hero is very neo-classical and I cant get enough of it.

If you look hard enough you can find the very talented metal bands out there. Its just a shame "metal" gets a bad wrap sometimes, when it has such a huge, wide spectrum of various influences; to where almost any jazz or blues or classical or even country enthusiast can find something in metal.
# 10
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/17/2010 10:28 pm
you kind of missed the point of the post, I never said metal was not good, I said after learning to play I realized it is not the only thing there is.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.