View post (Learning to play changes a man...)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
03/17/2010 6:25 pm
Originally Posted by: JStewartWhen I first picked up the guitar a couple of years ago, all I could think of was shredding the fret board like my favorite heavy metal and rock bands that my be why I failed the first time. Now that I can play the instrument my intentions and passions have totally changed. I can not get enough blues! The sound is something I do not know how to put in to words.

Perhaps you weren't listening to the right metal or rock? Haha Im just joking.

But there is such a plethora of metal bands these days, I wouldn't throw them all in the same bag and toss it in the trash can. Metal is the only reason why I still play guitar. When I first started playing I was doing Green Day and just "punk" in general. But then I actually started getting serious with guitar. So naturally, I got extremely bored with playing the same ol power chords.

It eventually got to where I happen to love anything where metal was influenced by progressive rock and classical. Randy Rhodes I will always love. Porcupine Tree is incredible. Opeth still stands as my favorite band. The newer Canadian band Protest The Hero is very neo-classical and I cant get enough of it.

If you look hard enough you can find the very talented metal bands out there. Its just a shame "metal" gets a bad wrap sometimes, when it has such a huge, wide spectrum of various influences; to where almost any jazz or blues or classical or even country enthusiast can find something in metal.