Trouble with chord changes

Bluestoad
Bluestoad
03/11/2010 11:22 pm
Having trouble with changing chords. Changing from a barr chord to an open chord or vice versa. Play classical but when it comes to the chords I just seem to be having trouble. Am I expecting too much or do I just need to practice, practice, and practice. Can anyone give me an idea of how to practice my chord changes. I'm trying to play with my church band and I feel frustrated that I am having so much trouble with chords and chord changes.
# 1
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/12/2010 4:12 am
How long have you been playing? Chord changes only get smooth once you have practiced them enough for your muscle memory to grab them all at once. There is no quick fix for chord changing other then to practice it until you are seeing the chord changes in your dreams, then wake up and practice them some more.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 2
compart1
compart1
03/12/2010 1:54 pm
You might try Lisa McCormicks tutorial on seamless chord changes
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11329

or ask Christopher Schlegel at

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36
# 3
Bluestoad
Bluestoad
03/13/2010 12:17 am
Looked at Lisa McCormick's lesson and that will help me a lot with some chords. The rest of them I believe as JStewart said it is just going to be practice and more practice. With that I think it's time for me to go and practice. Thanks guys for your help and advice.
`
# 4
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
03/13/2010 11:25 am
I'm trying too to be able to switch between open chords and barre's and also to play scales all in a fluid way. I do it haltingly just now.

It seems to be a sort of mindset to switch between grooves, especially when you've been practicing one of them for a while to try and improve them. My hand seems to need to reset between and that halts the natural flow.

Like all things I'm sure it'll come with time and effort.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 5
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2010 11:37 pm
You are already on the right track. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Aside from the obvious, you want to monitor "how" you practice, and "how" you monitor your progress. A tried and true method with this type of stuff is using a metronome and setting up a method by which you write down your progress. This is the same method that weightlifters may use to monitor how much they lift, how many reps, etc.

Try setting your metronome to a speed that is very, very slow. Almost too slow, that way you can say "this is where I am." From there, in your daily routine move the speed up very, very gradually. You may not even notice how much you progress as it happens very slowly. But, with time you will see how progress.

Set yourself up with a progression that is not to tricky but presents you with a small amount of struggle. Start the metronome slow, and practice that till you have it down. Again, it may seem tedious but trust me it will go a long way. The next day, or day after that, move the metronome up just a few BPM. The change will be so subtle I guarantee it. Than, within a few weeks you are that much better in what seemed like very little work.

The improvement is gradual but that is what it takes. There are no shortcuts with this stuff, and it simply takes "meaningful work." Sounds like your ear and heart are on the right track. Keep it up! :eek:
Douglas Showalter
# 6
Bluestoad
Bluestoad
03/22/2010 10:19 pm
Thanks again guys for all the input and ideas. I've been practicing and practicing and it has paid off. Doug, just as you said the improvement will be gradual but not that difficult seemingly. Sometimes I think we ask a question and we already know the answer but we are hoping for a quicker fix. But as I've learned in lealrning guitar it takes time, patience, persistence, and lots of practice. Playing with the band is really helping me. Thanks again guys. I love this site.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.