Techniques?

shahnen
shahnen
02/28/2010 4:57 am
does anyone know where I can find a complete list of techniques like hammer ons and pulloffs and even unofficial ones like jeff beck's bridge strike? thanks in advance
# 1
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2010 5:31 am
Here's a tutorial I did a while ago...If this is too easy there are many more lessons available from other instructors. Type in the technique in the "search here" block (upper right of the page). All the best......
Doug

http://guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=346
# 2
shahnen
shahnen
02/28/2010 6:02 am
thank you but i was looking more for a list of popular and unpopular techniques because i know there is tapping which became very popular and then there is the bridge strike from the jeff beck tutorial but i wanted to just have a list of all the techniques so i could try to incorporate them into my solos
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2010 7:55 am
Originally Posted by: shahnendoes anyone know where I can find a complete list of techniques like hammer ons and pulloffs and even unofficial ones like jeff beck's bridge strike? thanks in advance

To be honest, I don't think you're likely to find such a list. Playing is more like building a vocabulary and when speaking, we spend our lifetime learning new things to say or ways to say them. The guitar, I feel is the same way.

I'm not sure you can build that kind of thing from a list. My thought is that playing is more overall concepts/styles in playing and the kinds of licks that make those styles unique. I'd be more apt to want to learn a style and the licks that support it than to find a list, if there were one, that gives a listing of tricks to draw from.

Like with blues, it is comprised of a vocabulary of different licks that have developed blues in to a recognizable style. Knowing a lick outside of the context doesn't make for much playing depth.

To that, and sorry for being a pain, but I'd think you would want to study the styles and likes of different methods of playing and the kind of stuff you want to add to your solos will just come with what you learn.
# 4
shahnen
shahnen
03/01/2010 5:20 am
Thanks....I just recently found a prototype for a lick generator and I have been using a really small list of techniques I know just so I could get used to using these techniques in different musical situations. I combine techniques and change others. Like i do dive-bombs while tapping and other stuff like that. If you know any sites that will tell me a wide variety of styles and techniques that are popular with that style, please let me know.

Thanks
# 5
FlyingJbird
FlyingJbird
03/05/2010 5:45 am
I agree, you won't really find a list. There are literally millions of different techniques...

But if you're wanting to learn new techniques, then what you'll want to do is to learn from as many different guitarists as possible. Get jam sessions with other musicians that you know. Listen to different solos and rhythm tracks, and when you find one with an interesting sound, learn that solo or song. If you have a specific playing style in mind, then search all the music by musicians who play that style of music, and all music that's even remotely related.

That should point you in the right direction.

Oh, and another big, big tip: set aside some time to just mess around on guitar. A half hour, or maybe an hour - no drills, no exercises. Just play around on the guitar. Mess with it. Try different stuff. Randomly hit notes if you have too. At some point, a melody, or a new technique idea, will start to form under your fingers. Then you take that melody, or technique idea, and mess with it some more. Play around with it. Try different ways of doing it. You don't need a "list." All you need are a guitar, fingers, and an ear.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.