View post (Techniques?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/28/2010 7:55 am
Originally Posted by: shahnendoes anyone know where I can find a complete list of techniques like hammer ons and pulloffs and even unofficial ones like jeff beck's bridge strike? thanks in advance

To be honest, I don't think you're likely to find such a list. Playing is more like building a vocabulary and when speaking, we spend our lifetime learning new things to say or ways to say them. The guitar, I feel is the same way.

I'm not sure you can build that kind of thing from a list. My thought is that playing is more overall concepts/styles in playing and the kinds of licks that make those styles unique. I'd be more apt to want to learn a style and the licks that support it than to find a list, if there were one, that gives a listing of tricks to draw from.

Like with blues, it is comprised of a vocabulary of different licks that have developed blues in to a recognizable style. Knowing a lick outside of the context doesn't make for much playing depth.

To that, and sorry for being a pain, but I'd think you would want to study the styles and likes of different methods of playing and the kind of stuff you want to add to your solos will just come with what you learn.