12 Bar Blues

jedft
jedft
02/22/2010 11:18 pm
In some lessons they are using a higher note as the root (I) and lower as the IV and V. In others, the lower note is the I and the IV and V are higher. How do you know which way to play it? If someone says 12 Bar Blues in D#, my instinct is to start at the 11th fret on the 6th string and use an E shaped chord, then going to an A shaped chord at the11th fret on the 5th for IV etc. But in the D# lesson she starts at the D# on the 6th fret of the 5th string, then uses the E string for the IV and V. So how do you know when to start higher and when to start lower?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2010 12:11 am
Originally Posted by: jedftIn some lessons they are using a higher note as the root (I) and lower as the IV and V. In others, the lower note is the I and the IV and V are higher. How do you know which way to play it?[/quote]
It depends entirely on which sound you want.

Since you can do it either way, you should be aware of either way, practice both ways and be able to do both ways. That way you can try each as the situation comes up and see which sounds better to you at the time.
[QUOTE=jedft]
If someone says 12 Bar Blues in D#, my instinct is to start at the 11th fret on the 6th string and use an E shaped chord, then going to an A shaped chord at the11th fret on the 5th for IV etc. But in the D# lesson she starts at the D# on the 6th fret of the 5th string, then uses the E string for the IV and V. So how do you know when to start higher and when to start lower?

Again, it depends entirely upon the sound you desire. They do sound a bit differently. And also different positions will allow you to play certain things that are easier in that position than others.

For example, if you want to put some pentatonic blues licks in between your chords, then you might prefer one position over another in order to get from the chords to one pentatonic box pattern rather than another.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jedft
jedft
02/23/2010 11:58 pm
Thanks for your reply Chirs! Your lessons have really helped me out so far. So, is there a way to communicate which way a particular tune is going to go, say maybe if someone is sitting in with a band? I can't just tell them it's a D# Blues, because it, or any other key, could go either way. I did notice, however, that playing both ways at the same time still sounds good, so maybe it doesn't really matter.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2010 3:24 pm
Originally Posted by: jedftSo, is there a way to communicate which way a particular tune is going to go, say maybe if someone is sitting in with a band?

Sure! Tell them the key (D-sharp or whatever), then specify to them to play the IV & V higher or lower than the I.

In many case it does sound just as good. And some people in an open jam won't know what you are talking about anyway. You'll be lucky if they know enough to know the IV & V of whatever key you pick. :p

And sometimes it helps to have two instruments doing the same chords in different directions. Makes for a bit of variety, contrary motion in the music that makes it sounds fuller and richer.

Notice that in many blues turnarounds the bass and guitar go in opposite directions to both wind up on the V chord.

Like this:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=10307&s_id=274
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.