http://www.myspace.com/fullcontacthardware
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/13/2010 12:19 pm
Interesting. I am one of those that, while I do appreciate vintage, believes that science has a place in guitar construction.

Still, I'm not understanding how the increased contact area would come into play once you adjusted string height. It goes from being flat on that roller (the flat spot) to crossing over the edge of it. At that point it would just be a fancy TOM.

Did I miss something?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/13/2010 1:40 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboInteresting. I am one of those that, while I do appreciate vintage, believes that science has a place in guitar construction.

Still, I'm not understanding how the increased contact area would come into play once you adjusted string height. It goes from being flat on that roller (the flat spot) to crossing over the edge of it. At that point it would just be a fancy TOM.

Did I miss something?

The string height in the saddle is not via raising or lowering the actual saddle, that remains firmly planted in the bridge. The height is via the cam inside the saddle. So the string has more contact and the saddle itself retains that increased footprint/contact. If you look at a current Fender bridge (the Strat bridge is a smaller version of the bass), you do see that each saddle is elevated from the bridge plate by two small screws. So a large amount of the sustain transference of the string has to be made to from two very fine and small points of each saddle. I do think the 'full contact' idea of th saddle does make sense. Not sure to what extent it would create more sustain but as a Strat owner, I'd be curious.
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/13/2010 5:22 pm
Well Jeff, if you're curiousity gets the best of you, buy me one and I'll let you know. :D

I didn't realize there is a dedicated website. http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/14/2010 1:40 am
Ohhh, I see said the blind man! I was just looking at the string break over the roller and failed to consider the saddle unit's contact area as a cylinder. (I confess I did not actually watch the vid either.) Jeff, your clarification put my eye on the spot. ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.