Music Theory – Grade 3, pt 2.

ren
ren
02/03/2010 8:20 pm
Welcome back everyone – last time in part one of grade three we introduced demisemiquavers, looked at major keys with 4 sharps or flats and began discussing transposition with ledger lines. This time around in part two we'll be continuing with transposition and checking out compound time. As ever, please keep taking the time to review past sections to help cement it all in your own minds, all parts are indexed HERE.

So, onward with grade 3...

More Transposition

In grade three, as mentioned in part one, you will need to be able to complete the most basic transpositions – to rewrite a melody in the treble clef one octave down in the bass, and conversely to write a melody in the bass clef one octave up in the treble. You will also need to be able to rewrite a treble clef melody at the same pitch in the bass, and vice versa. It is obviously important to write the notes correctly, and to watch out for the most common mistakes made when transposing in this way. Firstly, make sure that you only transpose a melody as directly by one octave, it is common for students to move the melody by two octaves. So...

In grade 3, you will be expected to be able to rewrite a melody in 6/8 in 2/4 using triplets, just as you would be expected to rewrite a melody in 2/4 using triplets in to compound time. Hopefully the example above gives you an idea, which we will build on next time.

And that brings grade 3 part two to a close. Next time, I'll be bringing you more on compound time and some new minor keys... until then, take time to go over the material above, and review the rest of the articles HERE. As always, PM me if you have any questions...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.