View post (How to keep timing?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2010 12:12 am
Originally Posted by: kjproDo you mean that I don't really need a starting point when using a metronome, what's most important is a steady rythm?[/quote]
Absolutely. You can play as fast or slow as necessary or possible. You can start at 60 BPM. You don't have to hit a note on every 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. You can play on only the 1. Then, let the 2, 3, 4 go by and get ready to hit the next 1.

You can play on every other downbeat: 1, 3, 1, 3. Avoid the 2 & 4. You can play on every downbeat: 1, 2, 3, 4. Then, you can build up to the eighth notes 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &!

In any event, the point behind the metronome is to give you a way to practice acquiring an internal sense of rhythm. This means a steady pulse. This is an absolutely invaluable skill in eventually learning to play any music in time.
[QUOTE=kjpro]For example when I start a scale on 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 I most time when repeating the scale is ahead or behind the 1 count.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to get across here. Can you please clarify it? :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory