How to keep timing?

kjpro
kjpro
02/03/2010 3:25 am
Hi all,
I've been practicing without a metronome ever since i took the guitar challenge, now since I've found gt, it seems clear to me that there's no way around the metronome. I try and try but can't seem to get the timing right.
Any tips on how to practice with a metronome? How will I know when or if I have it right?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/03/2010 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: kjproAny tips on how to practice with a metronome?

The trick is to play with the metronome. Don't react to it, don't try to follow it. You have to practice enough with it until you can build an internal sense of rhythm; of a steady, constant pulse. Then you can anticpate the beat along with the metronome and play along with.

Practicing with a metronome is covered in GF 2 Chapter 7, practicing scales.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=451

Also, don't overlook the fact that the backing track MP3s and JamStation are also great ways to practice rhythm, tempo, keeping better time. And they are often more fun than playing along with just a metronome clicking. :)

Lots of the lessons in GF 1 & GF 2 have backing tracks for precisely this purpose: in order to have an objective time reference and goal to aim for.

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Dr. Metallius
Dr. Metallius
02/03/2010 9:28 pm
If you don't have a metronome at hand, I'd also advise to simply beat the rhythm with your foot, could be very helpful!
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/03/2010 9:48 pm
Originally Posted by: HotXRockIf you don't have a metronome at hand, I'd also advise to simply beat the rhythm with your foot, could be very helpful!

That will work somewhat, but the point of a metronome is to give you an ACCURATE beat/tempo. If everyone could keep a perfect beat with their foot, a metronome wouldn't be needed. You may think you're doing great with keeping the beat tapping your foot, but your beat may in fact be wrong, which defeats the purpose.
# 4
kjpro
kjpro
02/03/2010 10:26 pm
Thanks guys. I really thought it would have been more complicated. I'll get right at it and see what happens.
# 5
kjpro
kjpro
02/03/2010 10:49 pm
[QUOTE=CSchlegel]The trick is to play with the metronome. Don't react to it, don't try to follow it. You have to practice enough with it until you can build an internal sense of rhythm; of a steady, constant pulse. Then you can anticpate the beat along with the metronome and play along with.

Ok, let me see if I get it right. Do you mean that I don't really need a starting point when using a metronome, what's most important is a steady rythm? For example when I start a scale on 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 I most time when repeating the scale is ahead or behind the 1 count.
This may sound strange but I really need to know.
# 6
Dr. Metallius
Dr. Metallius
02/03/2010 11:54 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801You may think you're doing great with keeping the beat tapping your foot, but your beat may in fact be wrong, which defeats the purpose.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use metronome, it's kind of obvious that metronome is way more precise than your leg. :) But if you don't have a metronome with you right now, your foot definitely helps.
# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2010 12:12 am
Originally Posted by: kjproDo you mean that I don't really need a starting point when using a metronome, what's most important is a steady rythm?[/quote]
Absolutely. You can play as fast or slow as necessary or possible. You can start at 60 BPM. You don't have to hit a note on every 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. You can play on only the 1. Then, let the 2, 3, 4 go by and get ready to hit the next 1.

You can play on every other downbeat: 1, 3, 1, 3. Avoid the 2 & 4. You can play on every downbeat: 1, 2, 3, 4. Then, you can build up to the eighth notes 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &!

In any event, the point behind the metronome is to give you a way to practice acquiring an internal sense of rhythm. This means a steady pulse. This is an absolutely invaluable skill in eventually learning to play any music in time.
[QUOTE=kjpro]For example when I start a scale on 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 I most time when repeating the scale is ahead or behind the 1 count.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to get across here. Can you please clarify it? :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
kjpro
kjpro
02/04/2010 2:52 am
I don't quite understand what you are trying to get across here. Can you please clarify it? :)[/QUOTE]

What I mean is, lets say I'm playing the Gmajor scale. I start on the one (1) count by the time I get back to the low G to restart the scale, am either infront or behind the metronome one (1) count. This happens especially when I try the triplets.
How do I correct that so that I restart in perfect timing? And how will I know?
# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2010 3:21 am
First, it is not absolutely necessary to start or finish on the 1st note of a scale when practicing with a metronome. Consider, you can simply play one or two notes over and again. Or strum one chord. Also, it is not necessary to stick to 4 counts. Try 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. Anything is fine as long as you are playing in time with the pulse of the metronome.

Make sense?

To address your question:
Originally Posted by: kjproWhat I mean is, lets say I'm playing the Gmajor scale. I start on the one (1) count by the time I get back to the low G to restart the scale, am either infront or behind the metronome one (1) count. This happens especially when I try the triplets.
How do I correct that so that I restart in perfect timing? And how will I know?

If you want to play a certain amount of notes and have it perfectly square with a certain time signature or rhythmic group of notes, then you have to plan ahead for these things to coordinate. You need to factor in every aspect to consider.

For example, if you want to play:

1. G major scale - one octave
2. One note at a time.
3. Ascending.
4. Quarter notes.
5. 4/4 time.

Then the notes will line up against the rhythm like this:

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#
1-2-3-4-1-2-3

As you can see, if you repeat this pattern, you will get a "g" note on beat 4!

So you add a "g" at the end.

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#-g
1-2-3-4-1-2-3- 4

Now things will square up. :)

Another example.

2. One note at a time.
3. Ascending & descending.
4. Eighth notes.
5. 4/4 time.

Then the notes will line up against the rhythm like this:

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#-g-f#-e-d-c-b-a
1-&-2-&-3-&-4- &-1- &-2-&-3-&

Oh no! Again, you get a "g" note on beat 4!

So you have to add something. Double the "g" in the middle and at the end and things will square up again.

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#-g-g-f#-e-d-c-b-a-g
1-&-2-&-3-&-4- &-1-&- 2-&-3-&-4-&

Make sense? :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
kjpro
kjpro
02/04/2010 11:00 am
Makes perfect sense. Thanks much. How about using triplets?
# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/04/2010 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: kjproMakes perfect sense. Thanks much. How about using triplets?

It's always the same principle. You have to match the number of notes with the rhythmic phrasing you desire.

Two examples for triplets. Play each note 3 times in order to make the number of notes line up against the eighth notes triplet rhythm.

2. Three notes at a time.
3. Ascending.
4. Eighth note triplets.
5. 4/4 time.

g-g-g-a-a-a-b-b-b-c-c-c-d-d-d-e-e-e-f#f#f#g-g-g
1-&-a-2-&-a-3-&-a-4-&-a-1-&-a-2-&-a-3-&-a-4-&-a

Play each note 1 time, this makes 8 notes. So, play the F# again at the end to make a total of 9 notes. Now make the time signature to 3/4. So the notes will match the rhythm.

2. One note at a time.
3. Ascending & descending.
4. Eighth note triplets.
5. 3/4 time.

g-a-b-c-d-e-f#g-f#
1-&-a-2-&-a-3-&-a-

You can apply the principle in virtually unlimited ways. Give it a try. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 12
kjpro
kjpro
02/05/2010 1:12 am
Thanks much to all, you've been great. I'm getting the hang of it now.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.