Help with progressions

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
01/19/2010 7:26 pm
Hi there, ok when I write it tends to be 1 4 5 sometimes with a min3 stuck in there

I am looking all over for ways to make more interesting chord progressions but do not know where to look.

Also can you tell me about cadence, I understand 5 1 but wondered about stuff that is more in keeping with Rock funk Blues, is there a 2 1 cadence and a b3 1 etc and what are there character?

Thanks
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/19/2010 7:59 pm
Experiment. Also, knowing all the progressions in each key will help.

I have this book, it's rather nice. It works over the Major scale. There is a clear plastic dial you turn that, when doing so, aligns up the progressions in which ever key you want. Really cool

[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/20/2010 4:43 am
Just remember that the essence of cadence and chord progression is starting somewhere, moving away from it, and moving back. Like breathing in, out. Tension, release. Picking up a weight, putting it back down.

Western / Tonal Harmony is all about expressing that through I-V-I (with lots of stuff in between). You can learn many different uses of each of the chords and their "distance" from the tonic by checking out some music theory books. They explain that all of the "in-between" chords are a tool to move away from I or back to I. Not to just use them, but to use them for a reason.

You don't necessarily have to use I-V-I. You can try other things. As long as you create movement, contrast, drama, etc. I've found that bVI and bII are cadences I like (without getting any more complex and explaining them as substitutions).

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
Kwote
Kwote
01/26/2010 12:45 am
Try inversions,

instead of just playing the Root as the lowest sounding note try playing 1st inversion 3rd lowest, then 5th then root.

For 2nd inversion you'd play 5th as the lowest, then root then 3rd

I'm just using Triads as an example, you can do similar things with 7th's & 9th's too.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.