A Dilemma: to grow Finger nails or not.

u10ajf
u10ajf
01/21/2002 3:39 pm
Hi there, I've been playing rock guitar for several years now and am now pretty good at it but I want to learn how to
play classical guitar which requires finger nails. I have worked very hard on my tapping to the point where both hands had calluses. When I grew finger nails it made tapping very difficult indeed but I really envy the way classical players can tremolo pick with their fingers and pick out bass notes with the thumb. I know EVH has a way; you pick with a plectrum and hammer on the bass notes. This isn't quite the same though and I want to learn how to do the classical thing on acoustic. Does anyonw know if it's possible to get removable artificial finger nails or something? Can you think of any other solutions? do I really need fingernails for classical guitar?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/21/2002 5:56 pm
I've heard about removable fingernails, check out your local woman's perfume store.
As for do you HAVE to grow fingernails, well, if you are going to play the Carnegie Hall, yes, but for your own enjoyment, no...
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
01/21/2002 7:14 pm
righty oh, time to stick oranges in my bra and wear a skirt.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/21/2002 7:16 pm
Be sure to post a picture...
# 4

01/22/2002 2:13 am
Classical guitar was played long before fingernails became the norm. However, for the tone and precision that an aspiring student of classical guitar seeks, fingernails are a MUST.

It is true that this will make tapping much more difficult. I have the same dilemma. I am following the Royal Conservatory of Music for classical guitar but at the same time love the rock stuff. It makes it harder but not impossible to tap. Unfortunately if you want to be a classical virtuoso, you will probably have to lay of the heavy tapping.

Fake fingernails... typically only used in case of an emergency (like a nail breaking before a gig or something). I had to put one on a few weeks ago when one of my nails broke before an exam. Also, don't fool yourself into thinking that fake nails are easy and you can pull 'em off and throw 'em on whenever you want to practice for half an hour. Shaping them is a BITCH! and they aren't to easy to get off... it's not a short term situation, but used for emergencys.

Like lalim said, if you are serious about classical guitar, grow your nails and get one of Aaron Shearer's classical methods for all the info on how to shape your nails for the maximum amount of volume and tone. If it's just a lark you're pursuing, or for occasional leisure playing, it might not be worth it.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/22/2002 3:26 am
I know I haven't seen any slip-on finger-picks for a while, but then, I haven't been looking for them, either. 'Folkie' guitar players used them for getting more volume out of their acoustics.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.