PRESSURE HARMONICS??????

pantera
pantera
01/21/2002 12:50 pm
hey guyz...
I have some tabs for system of a down...and on it it says something about PRESSURE HARMONICS ..this is the first time ive ever heard of them....any body know wat they r and how they r played?
thanx
:)
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/21/2002 5:57 pm
?????
# 2
trickster
trickster
01/21/2002 6:53 pm
I think that's also known as "pinch harmonics". I know how they sound, they can sound alone or you can get to sound the fretted note and the note an octave higher simultaneously. Actually I've come here to find out how to play them myself. All I konw, I read somwhere you gotta use your index finger during your pick attack to produce the flageolett. Huh?
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/21/2002 7:08 pm
Try this:
http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=3720
this is a technique to play what you said. As for pinch harmonics, you just need the flesh of your thumb to touch the string when you pick it.
# 4
pantera
pantera
01/23/2002 11:55 am
thanx guys ill give it a shot....
:)
# 5
OmegaMonster
OmegaMonster
01/23/2002 12:35 pm
the term you used, "pressure harmonics", is used loosely in this technique. It's just a name to specify exacly which kind of harmonic the guitarist is going for. But, the technique can be wrapped up this way...

For example:
1. Hold your pick between you thumb and middle fingers.
2. (for simplicity's sake) you will actually pick the string above the 15th fret on the high E string.
3. With your right hand forefinger touch the string directly above the 12th fret. Above the FRET not the space in between frets.
4. Lift your forefinger immediately after sounding the picked note.

I'm sure I made it sound a lot harder than what it is. To be honest, this technique borders on "useless" considering pinch harmonis are exactly the same thing only using the meat of you pick hand thumb instead of the forefinger. But with this technique you can look flashy to your friends. Keep in mind: I used the 12th fret as an example. These harmonics are all over the neck. For that matter, they are above the pickups too. Try it out, and if you're still having trouble, let me know!

Infinity is silent in the shred of truth!
# 6
OmegaMonster
OmegaMonster
01/30/2002 12:37 pm
To further extend my concept...You can also play around with this...
High gain is critical for this considering harmonics ring much better...
1) Fret at the 12th fret with your forefinger...
2) Lightly touch the string above the 17th fret with your left hand pinky. This will seem kinda odd initially.
3) Now, pick normally.
4) After the note is sounded raise your pinky that you fretted the harmonic with.
Blammo! You got it. This is weird way to go about getting harmonics but if you sink a little time into it, it's not that difficult. Always remember: think outside of the box and left of center. And focus on the total package of musicianship. These kinds of tricks are useful in adding color to a lick or phrase - but, do not use them as a crutch to make up for lack of skill in other areas. Broad stroke make a beautiful painting but the blending of all elements bring the painting to life.
# 7
trickster
trickster
01/30/2002 4:07 pm
Hey OmegaMonster, nice analogy!

Just one more thing I don't get. The pinch harmonics, are you able to play them with your plectrum in hand or is it just a fingerpicking-technique? I mean, how to use the meat of my pick hand thumb when the plectrum is between thumb and string? Duh. This is really hard to put in words. Is there any videoclip on the net? I mean I know how to do harmonics without pick, but with?
# 8
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
01/30/2002 8:26 pm
The only thing that was not mentioned in executing a,
Pinch harmonic .
Make sure you just use very little of the Pick.(Tip)

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 01-30-2002 at 02:58 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 9
OmegaMonster
OmegaMonster
02/01/2002 12:31 pm
For the two techniques I mentioned before - you won't need to use the fleshy part of your picking hand thumb. You see, that is what's called a pinch harmonic. The harmonics I spkoe of are actually the same as a pinch harmonic except you use one of your other fingers to actually sound the node/harmonic.

I take o few pics tonight and post them somewhere so you can see me doing the techniques. I must say that these harmonics are very unorthodox and, it's a different way to go about doing the same thing. But, keep in mind it will expand your physical abilities a little bit. I'll get back to this post soon!

# 10
Thomas Schellhous
Thomas Schellhous
02/05/2002 9:54 pm
There are three basic types of harmonics. I am not sure which one they could be referring to as "pressure harmonics."

Type 1: Open Harmonics
First, place your left index finger above the twelfth fret (over the FRET not the space between te frets). Lightly pick the string with your right hand (with or without a pick), and, this is timing, immediately after picking the string remove your left index finger. The note that sounds is one octave above the open string. Try this on the 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, and other various frets to produce different intervals above the open string. Any point that divides the string into a whole number of equal parts will produce a harmonic.

Type 2: Artificial (pinched) Harmonics
This is a little harder and takes some experimentation. Fret a note with your left hand. Then, with your right hand (use a pick), pick the note while letting the side of your thumb (the fleshy part) touch the string. This should be done in one motion. You can get a variety of sounds with this technique, which is used a lot by Kirk Hammett and especially with Zakk Wylde (he throws these everywhere!). Try fretting the G-string 5th fret and picking at the 17th.

Type 3: ????
This is more difficult and requires a lot of accuracy. To start, fret a note anywhere. Then tap the fret that is twelve frets higher than the fretted note with your right index finger. Another way (I prefer it) is to touch the string with your right index finger above the twelfth-higher fret and pick the string you are touching with your right thumb at the same time. This takes practice, but it can have some amazing effects. Try arpeggiating a chord using this technique (you have to move your right hand fast, so use a chord that isn't too spread out, like Dm, C, Em, or G). You can also go seven, five, or any number of frets higher that will produce a harmonic, not just twelve.

Sorry for the length, but I hope this helps. Pressure harmonics are most likely Type 3 harmonics.
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/07/2002 12:13 pm
There is also a 4th type:

Tapping harmonics:

You have to be very fast for that one!
Finger a note somewhere on the fretboard and tap 12 frets above with yer index finger. But tap is exactly ON the fret - hammer the fret very hard and fast (tap it and immediately move the finger away again - like a woodpecker)

this will also cause a harmonic :)

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/07/2002 11:59 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
There is also a 4th type:

Tapping harmonics:

You have to be very fast for that one!
Finger a note somewhere on the fretboard and tap 12 frets above with yer index finger. But tap is exactly ON the fret - hammer the fret very hard and fast (tap it and immediately move the finger away again - like a woodpecker)

this will also cause a harmonic :)

-=[Azrael]=-

I discovered this while trying to learn how to two hand tap, it's definately a good technique to get a handle on.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Thomas Schellhous
Thomas Schellhous
02/08/2002 12:00 am
Thanks Azrael. I was trying to describe that in my post under type 3, but looking at it, I described it pretty confusingly (is that a word?). I should have separated it into two different types of harmonics.

On a side note, I just signed up with this site and I really think that it is a great place for guitarists to share tips and advice. Very useful and helpful; I just wish I had found it earlier. This place rocks!
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.