when to use 9 and 11 chords

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
01/14/2010 5:05 pm
Hi there, I am pretty able to write chord progressions with Minor 7 or just 7 but how do I write a progression with 11s or 9s in and is there any technique involved that I need to learn?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2010 8:36 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudios... how do I write a progression with 11s or 9s in and is there any technique involved that I need to learn?

The use of any given note in a harmony is related to the melody present. In the case of chord tones (basic 1, 3, 5 or extended harmony tones 7, 9, 11, 13) the same is true. There are two fundamental categories: Functional (or structural) & Ornamental.

The Functional uses are when the melody actually contains the chord tone.

Examples!

Irving Berlin's "Isn't This A Lovely Day", the first phrase contains a 7th & 9th note of the minor two chord. Therefore, this is a functional situation to use a minor 9th chord; because it is one of the melody notes.

Duke Ellington's "In A Sentimenal Mood", the first phrase of the melody ends on the 4th scale degree (on the word "mood"). The chord is a D minor 7. Therefore, this is a functional situation to use a D minor 11 chord; because it is the melody note.

Like many jazz standards, the song "After You've Gone" has lots of extended harmony tones in the melody. A great example of a 9th is in the F#9 in measure 9:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=644

In fact, this is a key characteristic of jazz, the melody contains or emphasizes extended harmony chord tones. Other styles of music typically use the extended notes (if at all) as passing tones.

The Ornamental uses are when the player simply desires that chord tone regardless of melodic content. So, just whenever you want the sound of a 9th or 11th chord, use it.

Examples include a lot of blues and funk. The 9th chords are all over James Brown, The Isley Bros, SRV, RHCP, but it is simply ornamental use of the tones.

This is one way to make a pop or rock song sound jazzy, or jazz-ish :) is to play extended harmony chords over a stereotypical melody.

I did this with WC Handy's "St. Louis Blues". The melody is mostly just simple chord tones (1, 3, 5), but I add in all kinds of other extended harmony notes.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=759

I have a whole bunch of tutorials on extended harmony chords in the pipeline. Stay tuned! For now, hope this helps. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2010 6:57 pm
Here is a link to a video I did on Dropped-D concepts, where I talk about using some unique chords chord shapes that aren't too complicated. Perhaps you can find something here that will interest you;

Advanced Dropped D Concepts

Remember, you don't have to use every note in every chord. ;)
Douglas Showalter
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.