fender bridge

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
01/11/2010 5:47 pm
i have been considering changing the bridge on my fender. my fender came with a floating term which i have made flush. the problem is the inotation is slightly off and the bridge its self is a little low. i didnt really care for the floating bridge cause double stops and complex bends always sounded funny.

now my problem is i have no idea where to get a new one or even which one to get. allparts has fender bridges but i dont know if they a supposed to be floating or flush. i have also considered converting it to a hard tail (fender needs to sell more hard tails) but i dont reall want to ruin my strat.

some advice on this would be great. i am going to be doing a pickup upgrade very soon which i still dont know what im going to get for those but the bridge seems to be a very nice place to start.

thanks in advance.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
shrekfingers
shrekfingers
01/11/2010 6:50 pm
check out www.guitarfetish.com, I have used their parts and like them. I have a Strat wannabe and bought a new trem block and saddles for it, man did it change its sustain and tone. Was a good upgrade. I also installed a graphtech nut but that's another story.

Also stew-mac.com has plenty of info and parts

I am curious on why you want to change it, I also have a Fender Stratocaster and am quite happy with the trem, there are other things you can do to improve it other than replacing it. Most "problems" with the trem is improper adjustment. Come on over to www.strat-talk.com, lots of fender questions and answers there.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/11/2010 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJera (fender needs to sell more hard tails)

Agreed! :)

Couple of ideas come to mind. First is to raise the bridge to where it should be for your action and shim under the back of it to make it "flush". Put all the springs you have on it and make the whole thing stationary.

Second idea is to block more it from underneath. Google blocking a trem.

If your trem is anything like my Schaller Floyd Rose, intonation is a b*tch! You have to almost (or actually if you have not enough slack) unstring it. Move your saddle to your best guess, then tune back up (including all the fun tuning that a floater entails). Repeat until you get it right.

Stew Mac sells a device to help intonate your Floyd Rose saddles without practically dismantling your guitar. It locks on so you can adjust it like a tom. Supposedly EVH-inspired. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/The_Key.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=16919

Making it into a hardtail might be fun reno project if you are prepared completely refinish your guitar.....?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/12/2010 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai have been considering changing the bridge on my fender. my fender came with a floating term which i have made flush. the problem is the inotation is slightly off and the bridge its self is a little low. i didnt really care for the floating bridge cause double stops and complex bends always sounded funny.

now my problem is i have no idea where to get a new one or even which one to get. allparts has fender bridges but i dont know if they a supposed to be floating or flush. i have also considered converting it to a hard tail (fender needs to sell more hard tails) but i dont reall want to ruin my strat.

some advice on this would be great. i am going to be doing a pickup upgrade very soon which i still dont know what im going to get for those but the bridge seems to be a very nice place to start.

thanks in advance.

Most any trem should retain it's ability with bends and double stops if the guitar is set up properly. Being both a person who has used a standard Fender trem and had guitar with floating Floyds and being a chronic double stop junky; if your guitar is set up right, you should have not problem.

Spending the cash on a proper set up and particularly on a 'springed' bridge will do wonders. Don't deconstruct your guitar when it's likely that all you need is the right guy to get the set up right.

My opinion, anyway.
# 4
shrekfingers
shrekfingers
01/12/2010 11:31 am
if your guitar is set up right, you should have not problem.

Spending the cash on a proper set up and particularly on a 'springed' bridge will do wonders. Don't deconstruct your guitar when it's likely that all you need is the right guy to get the set up right.

My opinion, anyway.

agree..... 100%
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.