Acoustic vs Electric

Scott Baylor
Scott Baylor
01/10/2010 9:59 pm
I was looking for a new hobby at 48 years old. So I asked Santa for a Christmas present, a (Fender CD 60CE: Acoustic). I must have been good because it was under the tree Christmas morning. It came with a built in tuner and case. Well NOW I have the fever! So I signed up WITH GUITAR-TRICKS and started learning. I noticed that a lot of the beginner lessons were on the electric guitar. Not having a lot of money to spend, I bought a Squier Strat package with a fender amp (Merry X-Mas again). Santa (the wife) was not happy but the fever was bad! I don't have an expensive electric guitar to compare it to, but I really like the electric guitar and it seems much easier to play than the acoustic. I wish that I would have started a long time ago. Any advice would be appreciated.
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/10/2010 11:05 pm
Hey Scott,
It really depends on what style you want to play. The electric is easier to play, but keep working with the acoustic too.

Welcome to GT, and let us know if we can help you with anything.
# 2
compart1
compart1
01/11/2010 12:06 am
I totally agree with Sixpicker.. I switch back and forth daily
Good luck and keep pickin'
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/11/2010 1:25 am
Both the acoustic and electric are very different instruments. When you are first starting, here are the key differences:

1. Electric guitar strings are thinner, and easier to play. Acoustic guitar strings are much larger and a bit more difficult.
2. Electric guitar necks are smaller, and a little easier to wrap your hands around. Acoustics are a bit larger.
3. Electric guitar requires a little bit more gadgets to make it work (i.e cable, amp, etc.) Acoustic simply requires itself.

Those are honestly the pros and cons to both instruments in the beginning. Whatever one you start on will set the pace for your education on the instrument. The transition from acoustic to electric is much easier than vice versa. I tell most students to simply get what corresponds with their interests and what music they like. Both are very different instruments the further you get along.

Sounds like you have a great grasp on everything. Just remember they both are different instruments that have endless possibilities. Keep us posted along the way and best of luck.
Douglas Showalter
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/11/2010 1:49 pm
Don't look down on the Squier Strat. They are pretty good guitars. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
Scott Baylor
Scott Baylor
01/11/2010 11:03 pm
I will definitely switch between the two. Love the sound of the acoustic and the versatility of the electric. Now with the help of GT maybe I can learn a few licks. Here is what I'm starting out with;

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0960620232#
I got the black one.

and
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301605006
Yes, the black one.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2010 3:21 am
You are on the right track for having both instruments. I cannot tell you the amount of times that I have had students become very dissatisfied with their lessons simply because they could not play their favorite songs with the right sounding guitar. By having both, you really have two very different sounds to play that are both equally as fun.

Congratulations on your recent gifts and keep us posted along the way!
:)
Douglas Showalter
# 7
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
01/13/2010 11:54 am
Originally Posted by: RazboDon't look down on the Squier Strat. They are pretty good guitars. :)

I don't think he suggested he was looking down on the Squier Strat in actual fact!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2010 12:34 pm
Originally Posted by: SlickStringI don't think he suggested he was looking down on the Squier Strat in actual fact![/QUOTE]
True. But...
[QUOTE=Scott Baylor]
Not wanting to spend a lot of money, I bought a Squier Strat package with a fender amp (Merry X-Mas again).

...implied (to me) a certain devaluation of it as a guitar. I have one and I think it's a great guitar, so I hope my words were reassuring as intended. :)
# 9
Scott Baylor
Scott Baylor
01/13/2010 1:15 pm
Hey I'm tickled pink to have an electric guitar and I will play it till the strings fall off. Sure I would have got a MIM if I had the extra dough or an America Deluxe Strat if money was no concern. Razbo, you like your Squier don,t you?
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2010 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Scott BaylorHey I'm tickled pink to have an electric guitar and I will play it till the strings fall off. Sure I would have got a MIM if I had the extra dough or an America Deluxe Strat if money was no concern. Razbo, you like your Squier don,t you?

I do! I think you posted elsewhere about maybe upgrading the pick ups. That is one thing I did to mine. Not sure about yours, but mine had some pretty low out put pick ups (ranged from 4.85 down to 4.15). Might be unique to my model version (a 20th anniversary Affinity) I got used off ebay.

I didn't spend a lot, I just got the "Golden Age" pick ups from Stewart Macdonald for about $40 each. These ones are 6.0 with a 6.5 for the bridge position. They made quite a difference.
# 11
PJREYN
PJREYN
01/13/2010 7:48 pm
Here is the thing on Electric vs Acoustic. I can play my electric only away from my family or when they are not around. It is more fun loud. Can't do earphones.

However I can play the acoustic almost anytime, especially in the evening. I double my practice time this way and keep my lessons fresh. Yes I am a beginner, beginner. Only playing since December. And old too. 62! I want to be able to entertain in the retirement home you know. My goal is to be good enough to be in a band by 90.
# 12
Scott Baylor
Scott Baylor
01/14/2010 12:27 am
Hey, we can start up a new band "The Beginners". And I thought I waited a long time to start. 48! I have to agree with you about the acoustic, I pull mine out at night when everyone is trying to sleep and keep strumming. Good luck on your new career.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.