Ring finger problem

Jonti
Jonti
12/17/2009 10:59 pm
Hello,

Wondered if anyone could help me.

I've been playing a good while, but mainly chords etc. and have recently tried improve my lead playing. However, my ring finger's third joint has a natural tendancy to bend towards the fretboard when playing any single note stuff. This was fine for a half barre, or maybe say an A-shape barre chord, but causes problems for single note runs. Is this normal or do I have to retrain it to be almost at right angles to the fretboard when playing?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.
J
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/18/2009 1:58 am
Third being the one at the tip? Yeah, you'll have to get that bending the right way, or I think it's going to be hard to have any precision.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Jonti
Jonti
12/18/2009 8:21 am
Originally Posted by: RazboThird being the one at the tip? Yeah, you'll have to get that bending the right way, or I think it's going to be hard to have any precision.

Yes the joint nearest the tip. It bends almost unnaturally the wrong way.

Thanks for the reply.
# 3
compart1
compart1
12/18/2009 2:58 pm
It could possibly be a weak finger muscle.. You might try some finger exercises..
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/18/2009 10:21 pm
Sounds like your not arching your fingers enough. That third knuckle should be bent at around a 45 degree angle. Make sure your thumb in planted in the middle of the back of the neck and your finger tips are whats hitting the notes, not the flesh like when you barre chords.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
Kwote
Kwote
12/23/2009 12:32 am
What's up Jonti?!

elklandercc made some solid points. Only thing I'd add is to make sure you consistently work on this and try not to get frustrated. If it feels unnatural for you now, don't worry. It'll be natural soon enough.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2009 4:05 pm
Originally Posted by: KwoteOnly thing I'd add is to make sure you consistently work on this and try not to get frustrated. If it feels unnatural for you now, don't worry. It'll be natural soon enough.

This is the truth. Again, you must remember that you are teaching your hands, mind and body something completely new. Through this, your hands are going to have to adjust and with time; all of your fingers will do what you want them to do.

Have patience my son and best of luck!
Douglas Showalter
# 7
Jonti
Jonti
01/08/2010 1:59 pm
Originally Posted by: elklanderccSounds like your not arching your fingers enough. That third knuckle should be bent at around a 45 degree angle. Make sure your thumb in planted in the middle of the back of the neck and your finger tips are whats hitting the notes, not the flesh like when you barre chords.

Thanks for all your replies everybody.

The trouble is it hardly curls at all at the 3rd knuckle. Therefore I have to fret notes with my ring finger virtually at right angles to the fretboard. Doing this is creating way too much tension in my left hand - as well as being almost impossible on the high E string. Is this a common problem?
# 8
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/08/2010 5:55 pm
You are experiencing many common problems that we all endure in the beginning. The best thing honestly is to keep at it and your hands will adjust. However, don't over strain yourself. If you encounter a severe amount of tension in your left hand stop and wait until the dust has settled. Again, this is one of those situations where some one on one time with an instructor would really make a world of difference.
Douglas Showalter
# 9
Deb48
Full Access
Deb48
Full Access
12/23/2020 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Jonti
Originally Posted by: elklanderccSounds like your not arching your fingers enough. That third knuckle should be bent at around a 45 degree angle. Make sure your thumb in planted in the middle of the back of the neck and your finger tips are whats hitting the notes, not the flesh like when you barre chords.
[br][br]Thanks for all your replies everybody.[br][br]The trouble is it hardly curls at all at the 3rd knuckle. Therefore I have to fret notes with my ring finger virtually at right angles to the fretboard. Doing this is creating way too much tension in my left hand - as well as being almost impossible on the high E string. Is this a common problem?

It's a problem for me as well. That PIP joint on the ring finger will hardly bend, even if I try to bend it with my other hand. I read something on the web about the innervation of the ring finger not being independent.

# 10
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
12/23/2020 8:59 pm

This should be Easter not Xmas

another resurrection post

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.