Easy Way to Copyright a song

Yitbird
Full Access
Yitbird
Full Access
12/09/2009 6:51 am
I just joined the site and am having a great time after playing back in the 70's in bar bands from Kansas to Michigan gave up playing to raise the kids. After they grew up bought a bunch of equipment again, much to learn, along with a BR1600 I have developed a few good tunes. I think this site is going to be a great aid in finishing the songs that are there as I find how to tie together scales, and keys etc. Just wanted to know what is the best way to copyright a tune before getting out there so you don't have it highjacked?

Thanks
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2009 1:53 pm
Welcome to the site. :)
Originally Posted by: YitbirdJust wanted to know what is the best way to copyright a tune before getting out there so you don't have it highjacked?

http://www.copyright.gov/register/

You can also use the "old school poor man's copyright": send yourself a registered mail copy of your tune(s). The postmark on an unopened mailing has been used as legal proof of original copyright status. But if you are serious, then go with the Library Of Congress link above. That is the only legally authentic holder of copyrights in the US.

Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2009 12:15 am
As well as copyrighting your song, you should also join a PRO (Performing Rights Organization.) These organizations, within North America, include ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. SESAC unfortunately is reserved for those whom are already making a strong impact in the songwriting world. However, ASCAP and BMI will take anyone whom has recorded works. You want to register as a writer and publisher. This assures that in the event one of your songs gets played on the radio, on TV, or anywhere for that matter; you are taken care of in getting royalties. Even if you don't aspire for that, it is something that looks very professional and it helps you get a grip on that end of the music business. Here is my ASCAP information:

Writer Name: Douglas Showalter
Publishing Name: The General Public (ASCAP)

Here are links to where you can sign up for ASCAP or BMI. Again, this is one more step in helping you cover up all the business aspects of your original work;

http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.asp

https://applications.bmi.com/affiliation/joinen.aspx?link=navbar

Again, you need to join as both a writer and publisher to be on the safe side.
Douglas Showalter
# 3
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
12/20/2009 1:44 am
Try this site. Ive seen alot of people that post original songs on youtube use it.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"-Victor Hugo
# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/22/2009 4:54 pm
I don't know about this. To be honest, I would avoid any sort of quick and easy route. You are more than likely not going to run into any huge problems with your works, however; if you are going to do it, do it right. Here is a link to the US Copyright Office's website to where you can get this done legally and have it be done. Also, join ASCAP or BMI as well; as that will secure that you make any money that is generated from your songs by way of any placement (in films, TV, video games, etc.) that is receives. I know this all sounds a little complicated, so feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

http://www.copyright.gov/
Douglas Showalter
# 5
Kwote
Kwote
12/23/2009 12:16 am
I have a question regarding ASCAP or BMI.

Can you just make up any old name as your ASCAP or are you better off using your company name?

I'm planning on getting a business license next year.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/23/2009 11:40 pm
You can use any name as long as it is unique to you and no one else has it. Again, you need to register as both a writer and publisher. Here is my ASCAP information:

WRITER: Douglas Showalter
PUBLISHER: The General Public (ASCAP)

They are both separate costs, and add up I think to around $50 for the two. It is well worth it to do both. They do ask for your TAX ID number, SSN, etc. I don't have a Tax ID number and I am a member. If you are going to start a business regarding your music, it wouldn't hurt to have them correlate. I think that is on you honestly. You can call it what you wish to my understanding, again pending that no one else has that name.

Hopefully this helps. You can always call ASCAP and patiently wait for them to answer your questions.
Douglas Showalter
# 7
Kwote
Kwote
12/24/2009 5:43 am
Thanks Douglas. That helps.
# 8
shrekfingers
shrekfingers
12/25/2009 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelWelcome to the site. :)

http://www.copyright.gov/register/

You can also use the "old school poor man's copyright": send yourself a registered mail copy of your tune(s). The postmark on an unopened mailing has been used as legal proof of original copyright status.

Have fun!

That can actually be defeated by mailing an unsealed envelope, flap tucked inside and when you receive it, post mark with date is on it, you can then put anything in there then seal it up.

I thought that a copy right by law exists the minute the original work is published..so with the invention of the internet and youtube, wouldn't that suffice as proof of publication?
I thought I heard of a copy right lawsuit recently of a blogger's blog being quoted and he sued for CR infringement??

But i must agree it is best to get it registered then there would be no questions and may halt a lawsuit before it would begin
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2009 8:46 pm
There are tons of rumors, exceptions, and hear-say when it comes to this stuff. As said before, go through the steps to do it right by way of going through the Library of Congress/US Copyright Office. This will cover all your bases, and make sure to sign up with a PRO as I mentioned before.

Best of luck.
Douglas Showalter
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.