View post (Building an electric guitar)

View thread

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
12/31/2009 1:43 am
Advice needed!

I'm currently looking at the electronics I will need to order to finish up my project and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed since I know very little about electricity. I can jump start a car but that's about it. I've been looking at all the pots and knobs and such on allparts.com. I don't know what linear or CTS pots means, or is a mini pot good or not, let alone if it is what I want or if it is or is not compatable with the other parts. SO--- I'll list my intentions, and hopefully someone will tell me EXACTLY what pots, knobs, switches and wire etc I will need to buy so that it will all work.

I have already a strat style 1/4 input jack and two Chrome Screamer humbuckers made by Dragonfire guitar parts.

What I want to do is a 3 way switch, a volume knob, and one or two tone knobs. I don't really have room for 4 knobs like an LP. The cavity for the controls is routed from the back of the body. The body is 1 7/8 inches thick. 500k pots have been recommended. I know I need at least one capacitor but I have no idea of the size. There are tons of wiring diagrams online, so many in fact that I don't know which one will work for me. I'm just not electronics literate enough to tell what spec is important and what isn't, what is compatible with what, etc etc. The humbuckers have chrome covers, and the bezels for them will be black, so I'd like chrome knobs, or ideally a chrome knob with a black dome or something.

So, I need to know
1. what 3 way switch to buy (specific)
2. what pots and how many to get (again, specifics)
3. what knobs will fit on those pots
4. what capacitor and how many
5. a link to the wiring diagram I should use
6. type/guage wire to use
7 and lastly, is the mounting hardware and bezels for humbuckers of a universal size or do I need to find something specific for the 'buckers I've got?

I know it's alot to ask, but I'm hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction with the knowledge and experience they already have. For me, it's becoming obvious it will take a few weeks of study and much reading to get enough functional knowledge on my own to make the correct decisions.

Thanks and gratitude in advance.

GG