finger tips

paddyz1
paddyz1
11/26/2009 5:34 pm
Can you get some sort of tips to cover the end of your finger?

I had the corner tip of my left middle finger cut off when i was a child. This has made the tip more flat and it is making playing more frustrating. I have to push harder but this only spreads the pad of my finger tip out more and i get dull strings above and below the fretted string. Aslo my nail grows past the tip so i have to keep it filed down in order to play

Here is a pic of the tip. Please excuse the quality as it was taken on my phone due to my digi camera being stolen

# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/26/2009 6:34 pm
I think you'll adapt to it over time. Not sure how long you've been playing, but I'd guess you will naturally compensate for it given enough time.

As far as fingernails go, I can tell you my left hand fingernails cut back a lot further than my right. Over time of keeping those nails short for playing, they just kind of receded or something. The "quick" is much further back than on my right. I'm right handed, so I'd expect the opposite.

But Jim, I'm a guitar player not a doctor! ;)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
compart1
compart1
11/27/2009 4:14 am
Maybe a piece of medical tape wrapped about a 1/4 inch from the tip would keep the flesh from flatting out.. Or a couple layers of liquid bandaid..
Maybe make your own prosthetic finger tip using a latex mask kit.. It could possibly be too soft and of course would damping feeling in that finger..
Just some suggestion..
Good Luck
Compart1
# 3
chrisweyers
chrisweyers
11/27/2009 5:42 am
You know who Tony Iommi is, right? I hope so! Well here's an interesting story.

Tony was quitting his job at the factory because his band was getting big and going on tour. He wasn't even going to go the last day, but his mom convinced him that it was the right thing to do. Well, on his last day, he had the tips of two of his fingers cut off in the machinery.

Well, he made some prosthetics by melting plastic liquid-soap bottles into a ball and then using a soldering iron to make holes into this ball, putting his fingers in while the plastic was still soft enough to be shaped.

Now he's Tony Freakin' Iommi!

If he can do it, so can you!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.