Hello everyone...new guy question. :)

BSC
BSC
11/23/2009 5:17 pm
Just introducing myself....

I just started attempting to play the guitar. At the moment I am borrowing my bosses acoustic guitar but I'll be buying my own electronic guitar soon enough...right after Christmas probably.

Anyway, any particular guitar you would recommend for a new person?

I'm wanting to stay around $225ish and lean toward blues music. :)

Thanks a lot for any advice.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/23/2009 5:37 pm
Hey and welcome!
Originally Posted by: BSC
Anyway, any particular guitar you would recommend for a new person?

Any one of these starter packs is a great option for beginners.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c594--Electric_Guitar_Packs

The Strats are typically the go to choice for blues. But I encouage you to go to a local music store and try as many guitars as possible for reference. See which one feels best in your hands.

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
BSC
BSC
11/23/2009 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelHey and welcome!

Any one of these starter packs is a great option for beginners.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c594--Electric_Guitar_Packs

The Strats are typically the go to choice for blues. But I encouage you to go to a local music store and try as many guitars as possible for reference. See which one feels best in your hands.

Best of success!

Thanks a lot. :)
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/23/2009 7:55 pm
Yup, I think you'll find a lot of proponents of the Squier Strat around here :) I have one and I think they are a pretty good bang for the buck.

I also consider the Epiphone Special II an excellent guitar for that price bracket. This would be a humbucking alternative for you, and it cranks out da blues just fine.

This guy at the bottom, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPkFtBuMB/ , would sort of give you the best of both worlds.

As Christopher says though, it would be great if you can get your hands on a few to try out and see what feels best.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
11/27/2009 3:15 pm
I'm just a beginner also, therefore, my advice might be of less value than others. In the past I tried to learn with cheap guitars and/or amps, and was less than satisfied with the results. I've chosen to follow some advice that was given to me, and I'm much more pleased.

Get good equipment to start with. That doesn't mean that it has to be B.B. King quality, but it should sound good, look good, and feel good, but most importantly it should make you feel good.

There's nothing that will ruin your fun and determination quicker, than poor quality equipment. Good equipment will "call to you". You'll want to play it, and therefore, will continue to practice and improve.

Your budget doesn't rule out good equipment, especially if you're willing to look at used items. For that I would suggest taking somebody with experience with you when shopping. They can also help get the price reduced.
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/28/2009 1:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Otto Ray Sing
Your budget doesn't rule out good equipment, especially if you're willing to look at used items.

This is true, and the Squires, Epi Specials and probably Ibanez make a good initial investment as well. If you are just starting, I think you have a good budget to get a decent guitar. My tendancy - if you have 0 equipment - would be for a starter pack.

I would stick with your planned budget whatever you do. Not to be a downer, but if you scour the online music ads like I do, it's very disheartening to see the number of "I thought I'd like to play, but didn't, so I'm selling my guitar", or "I got this for my son, but he lost interest...", or "never found the time".... I makes me sad. :p

Come to think of it, I bought my Epi Special from a guy who played it 3 times then quit. His loss, my gain, though. :)
# 6
BSC
BSC
11/30/2009 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo
I would stick with your planned budget whatever you do. Not to be a downer, but if you scour the online music ads like I do, it's very disheartening to see the number of "I thought I'd like to play, but didn't, so I'm selling my guitar", or "I got this for my son, but he lost interest...", or "never found the time".... I makes me sad. :p

Where do you find these music ads?

I have heard you can pick up a problem guitar if you don't know what to look for....I don't know what to look for. :(
# 7
compart1
compart1
11/30/2009 4:27 pm
Hi BSC..
You mentioned you use your bosses guitar.. Have you asked if he will part with it..
You can also try GraigsList.. You can select by the state you live in and select an even closer area by city... One person I found in my area had several guitars claiming he was down sizing his collection. Another had two guitars that in need of overhauling.. Another had one claimed to be brand new.
Don't forget your local newspaper classified and pawn shops. Music store may have trade-ins. And the music chain store will have returns and blems.
good luck
compart1
# 8
BSC
BSC
11/30/2009 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Hi BSC..
You mentioned you use your bosses guitar.. Have you asked if he will part with it..
You can also try GraigsList.. You can select by the state you live in and select an even closer area by city... One person I found in my area had several guitars claiming he was down sizing his collection. Another had two guitars that in need of overhauling.. Another had one claimed to be brand new.
Don't forget your local newspaper classified and pawn shops. Music store may have trade-ins. And the music chain store will have returns and blems.
good luck
compart1

Well my bosses is an acoustic guitar but I'm really wanting electric but it will probably be around Christmas or a little later before I get one.

Can you tell me what to look for as far as getting a problem guitar?
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/30/2009 5:31 pm
Originally Posted by: BSC
Can you tell me what to look for as far as getting a problem guitar?

It's a long list! :p IMO You'd be safest to go for a new starter pack. That way everything should be ok, and if it's not, it'll be under warranty.

Unless you have someone experienced to go with you, you should definitely stick to that route.

Anyway, there's nothing at all wrong with the Squires & the Epi Specials until [u]you[/u] are ready to drop more serious coin. Don't let any brand snobs tell you different.

Also there are the counterfeits to watch out for if buying off Craigslist or other used sources.

[Edit] If you Google the topic Buying an Electric Guitar, you should get some points of interest. Here are a couple

What to look for:
http://www.guitar-resource-center.com/beginners_electric_guitar.html

Top 5 Beginner Guitars:
http://guitar.about.com/od/helpbuyingguitarsgear/tp/electricguitars.htm

How to buy:
http://guitar.about.com/od/commonbeginnerquestions/a/to_buy_guitar.htm
# 10
compart1
compart1
11/30/2009 6:06 pm
hey again..
I think the first thing is that it has a straight neck.. as in twisted. A bow in the neck is second.. adjustable with the truss rod.. to a certain extent.
Bowed in or bowed out. One way is worst then the other but I don't remember which was the worst.
Second is the neck to body connection.. look for looseness or cracks.
Look for exsessive wear of the frets.
Check that all the tuning nuts are free to turn..
The overall look, to me for a starter guitar, is the bottom of the list..
But the feel off how it hangs or rest on your body and your hand around the neck.

Switches and knob should not feel wigglely.. Cord jack should not feel sloppy when cord plugged in..
If possible plug it up for a test run on someones amp. "A good amp"..
Play each string at each fret.. Listen for buzzing. Turn knobs, switch, and listen crackling and popping..
Play some of the chord, scale or music piece that you feel comfortable with your skill..
Let your mind float and be one with the instrument...
Good Luck and Happy shopping..
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.