Here I am

frankht
frankht
11/19/2009 2:37 am
OK, here I am. Teach me. I decided two months ago to learn to play guitar (mid-life crisis I guess), I have taken some lessons from my Step Son but although he's an accomplished guitarist he has no clue how to give a good lesson. I have been all over the web and finally determined that this site could teach me correctly (video instruction in some relevent order).

Although I love all types of music my interest lie mainly in rock and blues (with an emphasis on blues). I signed up for a year so GT you have one year to turn me into a "Gary Moore", just kidding. But I do have high expectations and a strong work ethic so lets get this party started.

I have purchased two guitars: Yamaha F335 6 string acoustic and a MIM Fender Strat. With the Strat I bought a Peavey "Vypyr 30" amp and a digitech RP155 modeling processor. I love both and can't put them down. Now all I need to do is learn how to use them
# 1
dmordy
dmordy
11/19/2009 2:59 am
Frank,

I am interested in your decision to start out with both an acoustic and an electric, if I understand your post. I have been playing an acoustic for several months as a rookie, but I am interested in also trying the electric. Are you working on both or which one are you learning on initially and why?

Do you find the electric more of a struggle or...?
# 2
frankht
frankht
11/19/2009 3:24 am
dmordy,

My intentions were to start on an acoustic and learn the basics then get an electric guitar and move forward, however, there was some force of nature (the guitar devil) that made me buy the electric ahead of schedule. I don't regret it at all. I do most of my scale and chord practice on the acoustic though because it really seems to strengthen my fingers and fingertips.

I find that the electric is definitely easier to play because you don't have to put near as much pressure on the strings to sound the chords, having said that though it's easier to get unwanted noise just by touching nearby strings. I think most of my practice wil be on the acoustic but some things just sound much better coming off an electric. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the reply
# 3
dmordy
dmordy
11/20/2009 1:19 am
Frank,

If I read the information accurately it sounds like you might be in Dallas. If that is the case where do you buy your instruments since I live in Ardmore, Okla. which is only 1 1/2 hour north on I-35.

In that regard if I go the electric route any idea what an electric acoustic costs these days. I don't need a top of the line, just middle of the road.

Thanks
dmordy
# 4
frankht
frankht
11/20/2009 4:14 am
Hey dmordy,

Yes, I am from the Dallas area. I do a lot of my buying at Guitar Center, but I'm sure there are numerous places to buy in this large metroplex area.

I'm not very educated on electric acoustic but maybe I should start getting that way because I'm sure in the future I'll be wanting to purchase one. I went out on the Guitar Center website and looked at 6 string electric acoustics and they range anywhere from $180.00 all the way up to $10,000.00. That's a huge range, I also want to look into 12 strings. My brother has played a 12 string for many years and I love the sound it gives.

What type of acoustic are you playing? Have you gotten very far on the GT lessons and if so what's you're opinion? Are you progressing like you had hoped?

Talk to you later,
Frank
# 5
dmordy
dmordy
11/22/2009 2:31 am
Frank,

I have an acoustic DG-7. It is not high tech, but it is good enough for the time being.
I joined GT about two weeks ago and I am the true definition of a ROOKIE. I truly think GT is a good program. I just need to stick with it. I think Lisa Mc gives really good lessons. I do think I am progressing.

On another matter Google Beth Wood. She is a singer and plays the guitar. She played in Ardmore last night and she was awesome. She was accompanied by Roland Elbert on the piano. Roland is from Dallas and was also excellent.

dmordy
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.