Songwriting. Don't Fake It

shayman1
shayman1
11/16/2009 10:44 am
Hi All
I just thought I'd share a piece of really good songwriting advice given by Jay-Z (no don't stop reading yet!).

I'm not into rapping at all but he was recently on a UK program called 'Later With Jools' which is an hour long and showcases many bands, and they always play absolutely live. You could search youtube 'Later With Jools' and see just how many bands are on there. For instance this week he had about 8 groups on, 1 being Steve Martin ( yes 'THE' Steve Martin who as well as being a comedian is a very accomplished Banjo player, and straight after he had 'Alice In Chains'! Now there's a mixture.

Anyhow back to my point. Jay-z performed his 'New York State of Mind' and I have to say it was very good.

Afterward the host, Jools Holland interviewed Jay-z and as a parting shot said to him, 'as the undisputed king of rap what advice would you give any young up and coming musicians about making it in the music business?' His answer was this: 'Don't fake it. Play what is true to you'.

OK so you're thinking, well that's nothing new. Heard that before. Yes me too, however( here's where I hopefully make my point) the very next act on was 'Sting' formerly of the Police. Well he sits there and with a lute player and sings this weird kind of Gaelic sea shanty and I'm watching him and listening and thinking to myself 'this is rubbish'. Yes it ticked all the boxes for the style of music(Sting is a very talented songwriter after all), but did I believe him? Was he credible? NO! Was he faking it? YES! And it showed.

OK, I'm not exactly in a position to criticise Sting, but I suppose the point I'm trying to get across is that Sting's 'Real' songwriting identity in the Police got him to the top of his game. If he were just starting out now I doubt very much whether his current music would get him any recognition because it's not coming from the heart!

Yes I could write a jazz funk song that would sound like 'James Brown' but my heart is in rock music.

I'd be interested in any other thoughts

Regards
Shayman

Find out how I made 20 songs from 20 ideas in just 2 weeks:
http://www.squidoo.com/write-a-song
# 1
slickjesus
slickjesus
11/23/2009 8:09 pm
There is a measure of truth to what you say. Yet there are plenty of musicians, like actors and writers who will try on other coats so to speak. Some more convincing than others certainly. I've no idea to the veracity of Sting's Gaelic dabblings, and might I add,I have no appreciation of this. Derivative music, art, etc. is in part ,the shoulders of giants we stand on. I've not lived the life of a bluesman, but that doesn't stop me from trying my hand at BB King or Willie Dixon.
Children it is said will repeat words and phrases on the average of 76 times in the effort to learn them. More than one composer has stated, "I don't borrow, I steal with both hands".
In a funny paradox -and this may be arguable, Sting used the Police as a vehicle to reach a point where he could play jazz instead, and would be heard. And lastly we've heard the Stones ripping off country/blues/folk and making it their own.By any means necessary, imitation, theft or mimicking it can all work
# 2
Chris_Basener
Chris_Basener
11/23/2009 8:34 pm
great advice - thanks for sharing
# 3
slickjesus
slickjesus
12/19/2009 7:21 pm
Thanks, but I'd hoped I get some argument or at least others sharing some opinions. I shutter to think I've had the last word here.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/20/2009 2:15 pm
Originally Posted by: slickjesusThanks, but I'd hoped I get some argument or at least others sharing some opinions. I shutter to think I've had the last word here.

Alright. I'll do it ;)

I think you definitely have a point that, to an extent, all music and musicians that perform whatever their preference is are based on some level of derivation.

I do think the point with regard to Sting was that he was performing something that he might have been temporarily interested in but is not true to him. The shanty's might have been an interesting diversion for Sting but is it what gets his musical blood going?

Versus the example you provided of, for instance, older blues giants; this example is more regarding what drives people. Such as for me, I saw 'The Song Remains the Same' then B.B. King on Austin City Limits within the same week and realized I had to play guitar. Whereas, I find old school 70's R&B to be very enjoyable and even some of my favorites songs are from that genre and era. That said, if I were to try to play something of the like, you would know it's me trying to do something that is not musically true.

It's, I think and matter of dabbling versus passion.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.