View post (Songwriting. Don't Fake It)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/20/2009 2:15 pm
Originally Posted by: slickjesusThanks, but I'd hoped I get some argument or at least others sharing some opinions. I shutter to think I've had the last word here.

Alright. I'll do it ;)

I think you definitely have a point that, to an extent, all music and musicians that perform whatever their preference is are based on some level of derivation.

I do think the point with regard to Sting was that he was performing something that he might have been temporarily interested in but is not true to him. The shanty's might have been an interesting diversion for Sting but is it what gets his musical blood going?

Versus the example you provided of, for instance, older blues giants; this example is more regarding what drives people. Such as for me, I saw 'The Song Remains the Same' then B.B. King on Austin City Limits within the same week and realized I had to play guitar. Whereas, I find old school 70's R&B to be very enjoyable and even some of my favorites songs are from that genre and era. That said, if I were to try to play something of the like, you would know it's me trying to do something that is not musically true.

It's, I think and matter of dabbling versus passion.