Machine heads

hrckid
hrckid
01/16/2002 10:05 pm
I'm currently playing a Les Paul copy which I'm gradually upgrading. Would it be worth fitting high quality machine heads as a replacement for the ones I've got now. Would I stay in tune better? Would it be an easy job to do or should I put it into the shop.
# 1
James8831
James8831
01/17/2002 12:34 am
machines have tighter tolerances and will resist string pull better= won't slip so much/at all. They also have better gearing and can be more accurate for tuning. take an existing one in to make sure that the new tuners will be the same height above the headstock to get the string angle correct, if they are too tall you can have problems in intonation and tuning.

You may want to ask yourself if you can get a good/excellent sound (to you) before you change the machines,nut,bridge,etc, as a nasty sounding guitar that stays in tune...Etc. Pickups are far too damn expensive these days, for my liking. :D

I had to get just one machine for my Les Paul copy, which the tech kindly gave me (free) and i cannot get the affected string to play properly, my fault as i saw it was too long compared to the old one i took in at the time but took it because i'm cheap, and so's the gtr.

Talk to the tech at your guitar shop to see if he knows what make fits LP copies well, usually a Les Paul "style" tuner is designed for Les Paul "style" guitars, so they should fit and it should be an easy job (is any job easy the first time??) , you may need a very small screwdriver for the retaining screws at the back. Usually guitar techs won't bite your head off for asking questions(especially if they think they're actually going to get money/paid :)) .Good luck to you and I hope that it turns out to be a good un .
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
Peter Barlow
Peter Barlow
01/17/2002 3:40 pm
This may seem a bit cheeky, but are you putting your strings on properly? Carefully stretching each string when putting them on will help it stay in tune no end.
# 3
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
01/17/2002 5:20 pm
Carefully stretching them? Explain.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/17/2002 6:20 pm
Unstretched strings take a long time to 'settle in'.

When you replace your strings, do it one string at a time. Bring the new string up to match the next lower-pitched string. (ie: tune a new G string to D) Gently pull up on the string near the 12th fret. Retune to the lower pitch. Repeat this until the string no longer goes out of tune when you pull up on it. Then tune it up to proper pitch. This simulates the stretching a string undergoes during the first few days of playing, with much less risk of breaking a string at full tension.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.