Probably the better place to pose this question...

goldenarmsx
goldenarmsx
10/21/2009 10:19 am
Is there a page or something that lists the various chord names and possible shapes? I discovered one that makes a very pretty and bright minor-sounding tune, but have no clue as to what it could be (best I'm guessing is something minor with an add involved).

These are what they look like tabbed:

1)
E----0--------
B----0--------
G----2--------
D----3--------
A----3--------
E----0--------

and

2)
E----0--------
B----0--------
G----4--------
D----5--------
A----5--------
E----0--------

Basically, an E chord that's moved to the third and fifth frets. I haven't seen anything that resembles it at all in my chord books, and I'm not versed enough with theory to pick them apart myself and name them. Any ideas?
# 1
nmguitars
Guitar Tricks Instructor
nmguitars
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/21/2009 12:30 pm
No.1 = Fmaj 7#11/E or Fmaj 7#11 with an E bass

No.2 = E min7
# 2
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
10/21/2009 3:27 pm
Try this and see if it's useful -

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/scale.php

:)
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 3

10/22/2009 10:15 pm
There are a number of songs that use a variant of this idea: the variant where you move the bass note up as well:

Joan Armatrading: "No Love"
John Denver: "The Eagle and the Hawk"

I recall some Master's Apprentice's song doing this too, though I can't for the life of me dredge it up at the moment.

Meanwhile, I think the resource you are looking for in general is this:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

HTH

GaJ
# 4
nmguitars
Guitar Tricks Instructor
nmguitars
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/22/2009 10:43 pm
Interestingly neither of the chord finder apps quoted can give a name to the first chord even if you put an F on the bottom instead of an E.

I use this chord quite often in a spanish music context.

Also in jazz a maj7#11 chord is not uncommon so I don't know why it's not in the database.

If you just play the top four strings of this chord you get Fmaj7b5 (this is in the database)
# 5

10/22/2009 10:53 pm
Yeah, I think that first chord sounds spanish (nice isn't it) because it is not from the normal diatonic scale ... which is why the chord finders can't name it as well.
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/23/2009 12:17 am
Originally Posted by: goldenarmsxIs there a page or something that lists the various chord names and possible shapes?

This tutorial shows all possible chromatic intervals in various configurations.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=462

To directly address your question, any chord can be named by reference to any note. It is a matter of picking one note as a root and then identifying the interval from that note to the rest of the notes in the chord.

E |--0--|
B |--0--|
G |--2--|
D |--3--|
A |--3--|
E |--0--|

First let's try the E as the root note. Frequently the bottom note of a group of notes is the root. Now we identify the rest of the notes relative to E.

C = minor 6th
F = flat 2nd
A = 4th
B = 5th

So, this could be called an E sus4 added minor6 and flat 2nd (or 9th). Wow.

Next, let's pick the C.

E = major 3rd
F = 4th
A = major 6th
B = major 7th

So, this could be called a C major 7 added 6th and 4th (or 11th). Yikes.

Let's try the F.

A = major 3rd
C = 5th
B = sharp 4 (or #11)
E = major 7th

So, this could be called an F major 7 added #4 (or #11) with an E in the bass. A third inversion major 7 chord!

This is why Nick gave the name he did in the first place. As an experienced musician, he likely looked at the shape and gave it the most useful, functional name right off the bat.

It's possible to use those other names. But, the F is the more efficient name, by far. That only reason to use something as convoluted as the first two is if the chord really functions that way in the full context of the song or the other chords that surround it. Perhaps if the chord before and after it were also sus4 with flat 9ths, then the E name would be better. But it's not in this case!

Also, as you point out this is essentially just a 2nd inversion E chord that's moved to the third and fifth frets.

So, the most useful way to name these chords is probably by using that shape, since it has the most to do with the function of the chords in this context.

Basically, it's an F major and a G major with a bunch of ornamental extra notes:

F major 7 add #4/E
G major 6/E

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/23/2009 2:34 am
I would never challenge Mr C on theory. How can one man know so %* much?? It's almost dispiriting. It freaks me out. ...Mr C freaks me out! :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.