Steelheart?

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
10/12/2009 9:50 pm
Anyone here ever get into Steelheart? Great licks, awesome rhythms and a singer who had a range like no other. Oh and that awesome 80's tone.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/13/2009 12:35 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerAnyone here ever get into Steelheart? Great licks, awesome rhythms and a singer who had a range like no other. Oh and that awesome 80's tone.

Heard of Steelheart...very much so. In the 'can you really believe a guy on the internet' sort of thing, in my other life that I had in the music biz, I/we were pretty well acquinted with the singer, Mike Matijevic (ps - it is phonetically pronounced: ma - tee -vich). I think he has been going by his given first name as Milosevich. Also knew the drummer a bit. My biz partner bought the drummer's cymbals. Long story about it all but, ya know, life happens.

However, Sticky Side Up is such a cool song and the cover art on Tangled in the Reigns was was by my fave album designer, Hugh Syme.

Should also note, Mike sang half the vocals for the Rockstar soundtrack. Other half was Jeff Scott Soto.
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
10/13/2009 3:00 am
Wow, very cool. Too bad what happen to Mike. What happen didn't some stage gear malfunction causing his head injury? I know after his recovery he's done some solo work, but i've never listened to it.

Do you know what's ever happen to the rest of the band? Did they ever do anything after Steelheart?

I can't say that i like Tangled better than their debut CD though. Their debut is just a timeless classic. Or are you just reverring to the CD cover? If so, then yes, Tangled's CD cover is better.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/13/2009 11:49 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerWow, very cool. Too bad what happen to Mike. What happen didn't some stage gear malfunction causing his head injury? I know after his recovery he's done some solo work, but i've never listened to it.

Do you know what's ever happen to the rest of the band? Did they ever do anything after Steelheart?

I can't say that i like Tangled better than their debut CD though. Their debut is just a timeless classic. Or are you just reverring to the CD cover? If so, then yes, Tangled's CD cover is better.

Yes, he was struck in the head by a falling lighting rig. Put him out, literally, for a while. Actually, I was able to see them in the 'Tangled' tour at the Mirage in Minneapolis (ahhhhh, the memories) before it happened. Great show.

He's only done a little solo work afterwards. He did the 'Wait' CD which is not much like Steelheart but had some really good songs on it. One of the tracks was the original version of 'We All Die Young' that made it as a beefed up version on the Rockstar soundtrack. Otherwise, he did something in the 90's under Steelheart since he own the name etc but it is really him and not the original band.

The rest of the band, from what I knew, didn't do anything after of any note. That's why the drummer was selling the equipment. He had a huge set and that cool Tommy Aldridge cage from the late 80's and didn't need it anymore. Well, no one needed it but my biz partner did want the cymbals so he bought 'em. Had the Steelheart logo spray painted on the Anvil case...so we displayed it at our CD store.

I loved the first one but I do think that, for me, the songs on the second were better. To each their own since music is all subjective anyway :)...

As another Steeheart note, the video for 'Everybody Loves Eileen was shot in the Chicagoland area and there was a semi in the vid with the Steelheart logo on the side...by happenstance, I drove by a sort junk collector of semi trailers about a mile from where I lived at the time...what do ya know, there was the trailer with the logo still on it....Mike thought it was pretty funny that it still was painted that way...

Anyway, enough reminiscing, I suppose...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.