Those magic words

Deadwrong
Full Access
Deadwrong
Full Access
09/17/2009 4:23 am
What were those magic words that drove you to continuous practice. Were they thrilling or was it an event that made you pick up guitar. For me it was the moment my teacher told me this.

"The difference between a master guitarist and a talented guitarist is this, you can easily pull the talented guitarist away from the instrument. Since they believe that they are talented they won't bother to practice as much, but a master you'll have to pry the thing from his cold dead hands before he will let it go." When i heard these words i practiced everyday from then on in and whenever i got the chance no matter how tired i got i just always wanted to play after that.

I know it sounds a bit cheesy but here i am a few years later trying to pick up an instrument that was a chore for me when i was younger. What words or event made you guys play?

# 1
Carmine M
Carmine M
09/17/2009 8:02 am
Originally Posted by: Deadwrong What words or event made you guys play?

No words, no events, just the few notes of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction's riff by Keith Richards.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 2
Ganit
Ganit
09/18/2009 4:45 pm
Okay i may be naive. And yes I am very new to the guitar but it was Rock Band the video game for me.
# 3
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2009 5:16 pm
For me it wasn't about magic words. I was frustrated with never being as good as I felt like I could be, so I paused everything else and moved to the other side of the world to study music.

I quickly discovered how much progress you make, when you go for it 100%, and that just made me wanna practice even more. Then I saw myself getting even better and wanted to practice even more, and I'm sure you see the pattern.

Unfortunately, being a full time musician also includes a lot of time in front of the computer, emailing and many other things that don't have to do with your own music, so it's hard to get the same kind of practice time in these days.

So..... enjoy practicing full time, if you can!

Anders
# 4
Deadwrong
Full Access
Deadwrong
Full Access
09/18/2009 11:04 pm
Originally Posted by: carminemarottaNo words, no events, just the few notes of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction's riff by Keith Richards.

Carmine

I never heard until you mentioned just now and i am kinda glad you did!
# 5
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
09/19/2009 3:46 am
for me I think it was the desire to have "that feeling"? know what I mean? I could hear some people play....and actually feel it in me....and I wanted to chase that feeling and make it come from my fingers...and feel it. I still feel that when I hear Dave Matthews or john mayer..but for some reason I just dont seem to play like them...lolol. Anyway.....no words...just chasing the feeling I felt when I heard what touched me!
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/19/2009 5:15 am
I don't know if I agree with your teachers assessment in full but that is to say that the way to being more of a master player has many paths. The one your teacher pointed out is only but one.

For me, it was a progression. I tried playing a guitar a few times during my childhood from 7th grade on but it never stuck until the summer between my Junior and Senior year of High School ('82) when I saw Led Zeps 'The Song Remains the Same' at a theater and then days later saw BB King on Austin City Limits. Knew I wanted to play then, for real.

Worked for my dad during the summer and he bought me a Les Paul.

I practiced regularly and progressed as a player. It wasn't until 5 years or so later that I really got in to hard core playing and practicing. By that, I mean the ability to play where people thought of me as a good player. I practiced all the time by '87.

However, I had to progress to that point. My path was not the same as what your teacher said. By '87, I was the 'pry of from my dead hands' kind of guy but I didn't really fully do that right away. During those first 5 years, I practiced regularly and progressed but it wasn't until '86 or '87 that the switch really kicked in.

Even now, I look at my physical ability to play I had back then and now wondered how I really could do the shred thing as well as I did. I could play fast and clean. Alas, it was constant practice that did it.

So, my deal wasn't an immediate switch that turned on but a growth that found me at a point where I could play what's in my head and my hands did not limit me.

...however, my lack of theory did. Now that I'm older and play as a hobby. That's why I'm here. To learn stuff I avoided back then.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.