A Make Over for my Squier

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/16/2009 12:47 am
I upgraded my Squier Strat with these Golden Age Alnico 5 pick ups from Stew Mac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/Golden_Age_Pickups/Golden_Age_Alnico_5_Single-coil_Pickups.html

I used them in my first build and liked them and I had a set on the ready for my next build, but that doesn't seem to be happening real soon because I'm still perfecting the first one, so I decided to put them in my Squier Strat.

Also, I had a black (b/w/b) pick guard I'd got off Ebay. The guitar is dark blue (20th Anniversary Affinity) and originally had a cheap 1-ply white pick guard on it. It was kind of cheesy, but with the new one it looks great. Total make over! ...And the black knobs should be arriving any day :)

Anyway, the I measured the original pups in the Squier and they ranged from about 4.35 to 4.85 ohms. The ones I put in are 6.0 and 6.5 for the bridge. Nice little boost. I have to suggest this is worth considering for Squier owners! They are only $40 apiece which is nice if yer cheap like me.

I never used the bridge position before, because it sounded that bad to me. Tonight I spent half the time there. These have a snappy clean sound and it really brought out that twang in the middle position. That thin high end I found with mine is gone. It just sounds more full, yet more clear and distinct at the same time.

I was playing some open chord tunes under heavy overdrive and the strings stayed distinct and not muddy at all. A little more of that classic rock sound than before.

Anyway, I was pretty pleased. I didn't mean this as a gear review, I just wanted to share the results, since I know others here have similar guitars. However, if you wanted to put a little more edge on your Squier, or just wanted a decent set of pups for a good price, I would recommend these.

[Edit:] As part of the make-over, I full-shielded the pickguard and it's quiet as a kitten. So, this is also a recommended effort. I used some heavy duty tinfoil and some spray-tac.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/16/2009 9:06 pm
I've just restored an old Les paul copy
I've noticed that the new double coil pick ups i've fitted are more powerfull than the original ones and not good for digital recording
SO I bought a fender starcaster with single coil pick ups and it's great
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/16/2009 10:14 pm
New pups are always fun huh? :cool:

I've got a new pup sitting on my desk waiting to be tried out. The guitar it's going in is torn apart right now, my Kramer Striker, it's getting a makeover as well, a new paintjob.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/16/2009 11:20 pm
Originally Posted by: GramboI've just restored an old Les paul copy
I've noticed that the new double coil pick ups i've fitted are more powerfull than the original ones and not good for digital recording
SO I bought a fender starcaster with single coil pick ups and it's great[/QUOTE]

I heard that Starcaster in one of your demos. Sounds pretty good! I haven't dabbled much in recording yet, but I'll have to keep that in mind abut the humbuckers.

[QUOTE=RickBlacker]New pups are always fun huh? :cool:

I've got a new pup sitting on my desk waiting to be tried out. The guitar it's going in is torn apart right now, my Kramer Striker, it's getting a makeover as well, a new paintjob.

I can see how the tone chasing could get ya. :) I'm usually pretty content with things - they are what they are. But the change this made - basically from cheap to maybe less cheap - was pretty amazing. More sustain, more everything.
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/16/2009 11:45 pm
See, that's my problem, I'm NOT content. I'm always playing around with my guitars and what not. If I took all the energy I put into practicing as I do chasing, I'd be far better than I am now. :o
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
09/17/2009 6:15 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerSee, that's my problem, I'm NOT content. I'm always playing around with my guitars and what not. If I took all the energy I put into practicing as I do chasing, I'd be far better than I am now. :o

Yep, me too
I'm never happier, than when i'm armed with a solderin' iron
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 6
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/17/2009 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: GramboYep, me too
I'm never happier, than when i'm armed with a solderin' iron

It's like christmas all year long. You never know what you're gonna get. And with the combinations of woods, styles, pup, the tones are endless.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/18/2009 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerSee, that's my problem, I'm NOT content. I'm always playing around with my guitars and what not. If I took all the energy I put into practicing as I do chasing, I'd be far better than I am now. :o

It was a bit of soul searching to change even this Squier from original. It's the first electric I ever actually bought (also my first Ebay purchase lol), so it had some "as is sentimentality" to it. But now that it's done, I may have let the tiger out of the cage.

...'Cause it is fun to fire up that soldering iron... :)
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/18/2009 2:59 am
And pedal tweaking?
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/18/2009 3:58 am
Pedal tweaking? Pedal modding?
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/18/2009 10:25 pm
With the bad grace of posting on top of myself...

I find it interesting we are seeking tone, but in different ways. The reason I am using these StewMac "vintage's" I go on about in the first place is because they a) sound pretty good and b) they are inexpensive (I have to drop 3 in a guitar at a time =P). I am using them to establish a baseline: all guitars will be consistent. I plan to build 3 guitars: First has been Swamp Ash Body, Maple neck, second will be Alder body, Maple neck, third is Mahogany body (neck undecided maple or mahogany; depends if I glue-in or not). I already purchased a sweet piece of mahogany 13 1/2" by 24" and 2" thick for my third build.)

So my plan has been - and is - to insert identical pick-ups into each of these builds to see what all this tonewood discussion amounts to. I realize no two pieces of wood from the same tree are the same, but I think I should get some kind of idea on tone-from-tonewoods from 3 distinct species with otherwise identical configurations.

We are chasing the same squirrel up different trees :D
# 11
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/18/2009 10:32 pm
Ha... Nice... Chasing squirrels.

Thats cool that you're building three of the same, just different woods. I'll be VERY interested in hearing your results.

My next build will be maple body, gibson explorer style then plunk in that dark and chunky ToneZone pup.

What style of squirrel are you chasing?

Rock?
Heavy Metal?
Country?
Jazz?
Blues?
Thrash? (you don't seem the type)
# 12
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/19/2009 1:45 am
That depends on the day. I'm glad I am fortunate enough to have guitars of different styles (low end as they may be; my sole bragging right remains my Gibson L6). Because of them I have come to know there are at least two vibes I am after: Blues & Rock and each guitar has (to me) a proclivity to each genre. But yet sometimes country, too! (Hence my tele-partscaster heheh).

I am finding with my limited pick-up experience that it seems more driven by amplifier than anything else. I can get pretty much any "tone" I want dialing in either my amp or my modeling pedal. In the case of my Squier upgrade, all that did was [u]enhance[/u] the effect. [Edit: Contradicting myself. They definitely DID enhance the tone. I can't say it and deny it in the same sentence =P]

So far, I'm of the mind that the amplification and effects drive the bulk of tone within a realm of pick up (SC vs. HB). Ultimately, as so many have said, it's the player, not the hardware. :) But I'm learning, and who knows what I'll learn next?!?

[Edit: To paraphrase: I don't think I'll get the tone I am after until I'm running thru a Marshall cranked to 10. :) ]
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.