How to achieve this?

caponi14
caponi14
09/02/2009 8:28 pm
Hello :)

Iv been wandering around lately, obsessed with learning this. (link Beneath)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwFkTGndGk&feature=related

How do i achieve this, somebody?
The sound? (not in the talkbox part ofcourse)
The phrasing?
The runs?
The creativity?
The improvising?
The style?
The scales?
The everything?

Some say it's not that hard....I would say thats bull ****.

Can anyone help me on this one?
Any advises would rock.
I know learning to play like this can maybe even take a lifetime, but im willing to do that, i just need a push forward. (Maybe you can be the one to give it to me)

My dream is to play like this, im not that much into sweeps and tremolo picking and those kinda techniques. But like he plays it here Slash, with alot of legato and alternate picking if im not completely wrong :)
# 1
Jason_Dionne
Jason_Dionne
09/04/2009 3:41 am
It really isnt that hard if you apply your practice time in a correct way. What you will have to start learning, that is that I dont know where your at with your playing, your gona have to start learning some theory. Learn the scales. Slash plays in a more bluesie mode, so learn some blues scales.

Alot of improvising is involved also.

To play like slash, takes a lot of time, effort, determination. So to want to play like this and to actually play like this, is two completly different things.

It's not hard, just very time consuming.
# 2
caponi14
caponi14
09/04/2009 4:07 pm
Im really trying my best, i really really really wonna learn this, and i know some theory and i know the blues scale and the pentatonic and those things, i just have problems expanding it into stuff like he plays.

What should i do when i know that stuff? (scales, a bit of theory) And how should i use my practice time correct? Maybe i overlooked something maybe

Thats the thing.
# 3
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
09/09/2009 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Jason_Dionne

It's not hard, just very time consuming.

It's both hard [U]and[/U] time consuming, for me at least, but it's still fun and rewarding so I'll keep on trying/playing.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 4
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/15/2009 5:33 pm
This Slash solo is really basic blues shapes, with a few other notes thrown in here and there. So you're lucky -- this material is not tricky harmonically. You don't need to learn much theory.

To get to this level, just take a metronome, set it very slow, and go up and down your pentatonic shapes. Strengthen your fretting hand by trying to do it all with hammer-ons and pull-offs. Then, all you do is increase the metronome by one click, then another click. Take it from very slow to faster and faster.

When I was in high school, I used to sit for hours and hours on my mom's couch, watching music videos on MTV and just letting my left hand go all over the place in the shapes. You couldn't get the guitar out of my hands. It would get to where I was not consciously thinking about playing at all. I taught my subconscious how to play guitar. It's just forming a habit, getting your muscle-memory established, and hitting as many notes as you can up and down the neck. I'd sit and think about something else completely and just keep that left hand going. I'd do trills, bends, vibrato all day long, not even thinking about it.

Of course, you should always focus on what you are doing at first -- make sure you are setting yourself up properly, have good posture, et cetera. But once you've told your hands what to do, just let them go at it for a while. Correct them when they need it.

Most of the time when you see these guitar gods playing what seems like something really difficult, they are probably daydreaming about something else and just making sounds out of habit. They do make it look hard to do because it's a show, but guys like Slash could be reading a novel while doing all that stuff. Besides, the last thing you want to be doing is really having to think about what you are doing when you're playing to 10,000 people.

Just realize that if you play something very slow, at a level that is totally comfortable to you, that is what it is like for Slash to do all of his stuff. All you have to do is keep increasing your speed on those blues scales. It takes discipline and patience to push that comfort zone. You'll get a little faster every day, just build up those muscles and speed like any other sport.

To me, the beauty in Slash's playing has always been his composed guitar leads in his songs. That is what takes maturity beyond just getting your hands working correctly. And please remember that you are not necessarily making good music just because your hands can move fast. Just like running fast, you have to look where you are going.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 5
caponi14
caponi14
10/13/2009 9:37 pm
http://www.youtube.com/user/Slashi12#p/u

How the hell do you do this? :(

I spent nearly all my day on guitar practice when im not in school?

i just can't get the patterns right!!!
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/27/2009 5:44 pm
two questions;

how long have you been playing, and how much do you practice each day?

Answer those questions and we can go from there for further advice and guidance.
Douglas Showalter
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
10/28/2009 4:30 pm
I practise 3 hours each day i think, a little more a little less sometimes. And iv been playing a little over one year.
It's wired that i can't hear myself improving but everyone around me seems to hear it? My music teacher say's that i play like i have been playing like 3 years or something?

But i think it all comes down to when i practice, i don't think im doing it the right way?

I think i have done a mistake by focusing to much on just soloing until a little while ago when i realised, so lately iv been thinking about learning some more rythm playing. Since im a big fan of the way Slash plays guitar, i though about maybe learning all the songs from this album that Slash's Snakepit released in 1995 (It's five o' clock somewhere)
I think that if i learned those songs i would get a better understanding of how to make those chunky/biting blues and rock rythmes that he uses? And just get better at rythm in general, even the soloing i think whould improve alot if i got all of those songs down including the solos? but maybe it's a little too hard material? Am i completely wrong?

Anyone have any better ideas? Like what i should learn before moving into that albums stuff? Maybe start out with Appetite for destruction? (it sounds a little easier than the snakepit stuff)

I think im starting to realise how to do things on the guitar, maybe i just need the last push. Like telling me how to approach it all (sounds lame, but you know what i mean)

# 8
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2009 11:44 pm
I would not narrow down your study of rhythm guitar playing by simply learning that album, or any album honestly. If you are studying with someone, have them bring to the table a few rock songs that feature some great rhythm guitar playing and work to get that under your fingers. If you like Slash, work with that but don't pin yourself to just that. There is a TON of great guitar playing out there especially in rhythm that you can learn from and work to develop your OWN sound.

The honest truth is that you get the greatest experience and skills by playing with others. You will learn how to suite different musical situations and learn to listen to other people play. Simply learning songs is beneficial, but after you get a few of those things under your belt go out and meet some other players at your level or above. Also, perhaps take your skills and teach them to someone else whom wants to learn as well.

Working with a metronome is another great way to hone your rhythm chops. I am assuming you may already have worked with one playing scales, but change your routine to playing different chords with new rhythms. Have your teacher give you some chord progressions and different rhythms from songs that you enjoy.

These are just a few tips. Again, nothing replaces playing with others. Feel free to post any more questions.
Douglas Showalter
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2009 11:50 pm
Also, keep up the great practice regimen! You simply cannot play that much and not improve; IMPOSSIBLE!
Douglas Showalter
# 10
caponi14
caponi14
10/29/2009 8:56 am
well, im not very experienced so i believe what you say douglas. The school im one, is what we call in Denmark a ''production school'' and on the school there's some different departments within the school that makes money to fix cars for people, build boats, making food to kindergardens and other places and stuff like that. Did i mention before that im in the music department and we currently have 120 payed concerts that we have to play for schools and retirement homes and places like that?
And it's actually not true that i only play for 3 hours a day. I think it's more like 8 hours every day if you put it together (5 at school, 3 at home). I think i played like 23 concerts already, so yeah. I do play with others, every day actually. I would dare to say that that the ONLY thing im doing, is playing music. cause it's the only thing we do in the school, theres not math and normal subjects like that. I even get payed to go there :cool:

I know im getting better, i just can't see it for myself cause im there following my playing on all stages, if you know what i mean? And surely others have noticed that im getting better, alot they say.

Thanks for the advises Douglas.
# 11
caponi14
caponi14
10/30/2009 8:59 pm
But the thing is, how do i know that i practice properly, maybe you could write me a scheme that i could do over the week?

Like monday i practice this and then tuesday i practice that.... Many say that it's crucial to practise the right way, few actually say how to do it. The thing im struggeling the most with is creativity and improvising i think, not that i can't play a decent solo, cause i can. It's more in the rythm sections that i fail a bit on my creative side. That why i thought about learning some songs and riffs from my favorite music, to get the idea of how to? I quess I have to find some other and more advanced chord progressions than just G-C-D or A-D-E. How? If im completely wrong tell me

Could you do me a scheme for what i should practice?

Or would that be too much to expect?

Thanks guys, but i most say that the road to mastery seems harder and harder to me and that makes me sad, very sad. Cause i really, really, really put all my time and effort on the guitar. I want it so bad!!!!!!!
# 12
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2009 1:09 am
Expect a practice regimen/schedule idea soon via private message on the forum. This is something that works for me and was taught to me via another instructor. His techniques mixed with mine have done great things for my playing.
Douglas Showalter
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/31/2009 2:57 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterExpect a practice regimen/schedule idea soon via private message on the forum. This is something that works for me and was taught to me via another instructor. His techniques mixed with mine have done great things for my playing.

Cool. Can you copy me? :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 14
caponi14
caponi14
10/31/2009 7:27 am
So your gonna send me via private message?

Cool, thanks :)
# 15
caponi14
caponi14
11/01/2009 11:36 am
Thanks alot :) iv tried it today, seems to be a really good routine. But what should i do the other days?

Should i do the same every day or vary it up with some of the other components that you said, (ear training, improvisation, harmony)?

Would you mind if i maybe asked you to do a full scheme :o You really don't have to if it takes too much of you time.

Thanks in advance anyway :)
# 16
caponi14
caponi14
11/02/2009 6:21 am
Just forget about the full schedule, it's too much of me to ask i think, sorry
# 17
Chris Martins
Chris Martins
11/02/2009 4:42 pm
Funny, all my messages are gone...

Anybody care to explain why ?
Free video reveals #1 secret to mastering the guitar : www.masterguitarplaying.com
# 18
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
11/03/2009 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterExpect a practice regimen/schedule idea soon via private message on the forum. This is something that works for me and was taught to me via another instructor. His techniques mixed with mine have done great things for my playing.

Any chance I could get a copy of that practice Regime via PM as well, as I am currently in the same boat as the original opp- Need a defined practice routine. I am currently trying to spice up my soloing- working on incorporating triplets and just starting to learn modes, but I find myself confused on what i should be doing to get there

Thanks,

Michael - Fellow Southern Californian
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 19
Chris Martins
Chris Martins
11/03/2009 7:57 pm
Funny, all my messages are gone... Anybody care to explain why ?

I guess not.

Caponi14, can you please post the sample day I wrote down for you so that people can use it if they want to, and yes, I can send you a 5 day schedule tonight, but as I said it's not so much what, but how that counts. Fell free to PM me if you have any question.
Free video reveals #1 secret to mastering the guitar : www.masterguitarplaying.com
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.