Melodic Minor improvising

Vijay Fernandes
Vijay Fernandes
08/20/2009 9:26 pm
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum but anyway here's my question.
Anybody know the best way for practising Melodic Minor improvising exclusively? - Backing tracks etc
The point is to get the scale down. Ideally I would like to start by getting one pattern down and see how quickly I get comfortable with it?
Any ideas?
# 1
Greg Vinson
Greg Vinson
08/24/2009 4:15 pm
I doubt there's one "best" way, but I can share a couple of thoughts about how to practice the scale (or any scale). As with anything musical, you get the best results if you can fully engage with the material mentally, physically, and emotionally. So if you find yourself bored, take charge of your learning by changing your approach until you can regain your enthusiasm (breaks are good too).

These are suggestions and not a course of study so feel free to mix and match. I don't intend to suggest that you must do them all. They represent some ways of learning that I find rewarding, so I hope you do too. If you get one idea that helps you, then that's great!

1) Get or make 12 diagrams of the entire neck. Map out the dots for the scale in every key. It's not very hard if you know the order of the intervals, which you have to know to practice it anyway. Then start visualizing different paths through the dots, and play around until you find some nice melodies/licks.

2) Find a chord voicing you like, and using copies of your diagrams, circle the notes that make that voicing. Then, move all the voices of the chord up one scale degree, then another, until you have all seven chords in that particular family. Try that with as many voicings as you like. Also use 2 and 3 note chords; lots of times they sound better, depending on context. You can often leave out the bass note if there's a bassist.

3) (This should probably be #1) Make sure you know what your purpose is in wanting to have facility with this scale. If you have only a vague idea, try to find more about it's uses; knowledge builds excitement and confidence. You need to be in touch with your motivation to keep going until it's a permanant part of you. The most popular use of this scale in jazz is to play it's 7th mode over altered dominant chords. It's wonderful for that, as it contains all 4 tensions; the flatted and sharped versions of both the 5th and 9th! Really sounds cool! But explore lots of other uses too. There are other modes of the scale that also work over altered dominants; they just don't contain all 4 tensions; which might suit your mood better at times.

4) Make up tunes and chord progressions with it.

5) Don't get overwhelmed with all this stuff; take little steps and celebrate your progress. If you don't care to learn it in more than 1 key, that's one key more than the average shmo knows! Congratulate yourself, and don't beat yourself up because you aren't Joe Pass!

6) Try improvising over a 12 bar blues, combining blues scale riffs with altered dominant riffs. It sounds much better if the chords are played with at least one tension, an altered 5th or 9th-so there's some agreement between the chords and the solo.

7) Get familiar with all the intervals in the scale; try to learn to go up and down using harmonized 2nds, 3rds, 4ths....thru 13ths. Pay attention to their visual shapes, their feel, and sound.

8) Make little games out of it, like seeing if you can play some melodies on only the low E and A strings, then only the low E and D, etc. Try as many string groupings as you can, just 2 notes at a time so that you get more intimate with the intervallic relationships. Also spend time hanging out on the most unfamiliar area of the neck, until it feels like home. As much as possible, try to always break out of any ruts.

9) Try to play it in the context of songs as soon as possible.

10) Use it as a composing tool; create melodies and chord progressions based on it.

11) Once you know one pattern, add another, and another, until you know them and can connect them. Eventually you won't have to really think about it, and can just move freely in any direction.

12) Once you can connect the patterns, make sure you don't get in the habit of always changing position the same way (by sliding your little finger up on the G string, or whatever). If you find yourself in that type of rut, just come up with as many different routes as you can to the same destination, and spend most of your practice time on the routes that feel hardest.

13) As with anything in music, work on making as good a sound as possible for the least amount of effort. For example, if your hand gets tired, perhaps you're pressing much harder than needed to produce a clear tone. The goal is to get into an effortless flow; the zone we all want to be in. Of course you need a balance between effort and relaxation, but try to do everything with as little effort as possible.

I hope that helps and that it's not too daunting. If it feels like work, back off a notch until it's a fun adventure, as music should be.
# 2
Vijay Fernandes
Vijay Fernandes
08/29/2009 10:19 pm
Thanks Greg! Very useful insight...I can employ a couple of strategies for now and see how I grasp it.

I'm new to Melodic Minors. I would like to use this as a compositional tool eventually. Of course I don't intend to be Joe Pass.:-)
If I can express myself using Melodic Minors the best I can, that will give me a sense of achievement.
# 3
Andy Gurley
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Andy Gurley
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2009 10:43 pm
Vijay
I would also work toward the practical use of the melodic minor...Over an E7 groove, work on playing an Emin Pentatonic, a B Dorian Mode and a B Melodic Minor...
Over a static progression you can play the Melodic Minor a fifth above the chord...Its really a great sound
# 4
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/05/2009 12:47 am
Hi Vijay,

I'm sure you already have enough to work on, but I wanna make sure to introduce you to the approach that made me really start to get it.

Ultimately a scale is just a bunch of notes, and it can seem easy to just learn the melodic minor scale and then apply it in different ways- For example up a fifth for the lydian dominant sound and up a half step for the altered sound.

But in this approach I personally ended up giving up on learning the melodic minor scale, because it didn't make any sense to me. Because even if I played the scale right, I didn't really understand what I was doing!

So I then learned the notes and their qualities one at the time, and eventually they formed a scale. So try this approach:

The main uses of the melodic minor scale are as the altered scale, the lydian dominant and as a minor scale with a major 7 and major 6, so we'll start with that.

[U]Playing melodic minor over a regular minor progression:[/U]
The first note you wanna get comfortable with is the major 7 over a minor chord. It can sound pretty retro and cool, so try to play some phrases that incorporate the major 7 (fx b3, maj7, 9, 8) Once you get used to this sound you can easily add the major 6 (fx 5, maj6, maj7, 8 and so on...)

[U]Getting comfortable with the lydian dominant sound:[/U] Try and play some phrases in the mixolydian scale using the #4 instead of the regular 4 (for example 5, #4, 6, 5, 3 and so on). Get comfortable with that sound. That's all there is to it. Once you understand the lydian dominant sound it's much easier to find more places on the neck where you can play it.

[U]Now try the altered scale:[/U] Try to play some phrases that incorporate the b9 (fx 1 3 5 b7 b9 8)

Once you get comfortable with this sound, you can add the b3 to the mix and find some cool phrases with the two tension notes.

Then you add the #5 and find some cool phrases with the three tension notes.

Same thing with the sharp #4, and the rest of the notes you already know! The 1, 3 and b7

All the other modes of the melodic minor scale are very advanced harmonically, and I wouldn't worry about them till you wanna try to sound like Coltrane!

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you. My main point is that rather than trying to learn all the notes all over the neck, just try to learn to understand the sound of the most important ones, and eventually you'll know the scale just from doing that. That's how I did it:)

Have fun with it and feel free to ask me if anything was unclear,
Anders
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.