metronome

1Life1Chance
1Life1Chance
07/18/2009 2:30 pm
Can you make the metronome go wayyyy past 250 bpm? Or can someone explain to me why metronomes in general don't? I mean, for scale practice that's pretty slow i think. i know you can double or triple or quadruple your count but it's so much easier to follow the clicks. This is the first time i'm ever trying to play to a metronome so maybe i'm missing an obvious point but i just don't get it.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/18/2009 5:37 pm
Heheh, I was going to ask that at one point, but figured I'd be suggested to double the count. I think that thing is a blast, anyway. Sometimes when I'm feeling uninspired and don't feel like lessons I'll put it on the tempo increase... More fun than Guitar Hero! :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
07/18/2009 7:24 pm
It defeats the purpose to play along with the clicks. If you're practicing for speed you're not going to be playing quarter notes, you'll be doing eight notes or faster.

If you were playing quarter notes it'd be all down picks, which you don't want to be doing at 250bmp. Scales are a great way to practice alternate picking with eight notes, count 1&2&3&4& by picking downwards on the numbers and picking upwards on the "and" or off-beat.

If that's too easy you can always do sixteenth notes.

Originally Posted by: RazboHeheh, I was going to ask that at one point, but figured I'd be suggested to double the count. I think that thing is a blast, anyway. Sometimes when I'm feeling uninspired and don't feel like lessons I'll put it on the tempo increase... More fun than Guitar Hero! :D

Check out http://littlebigstar.net/main/ if you're looking for a fun way to practice. Pop in any guitar pro file and try and play along, you can change tempo on the fly, which makes it a great way to learn a song with a tricky melody.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/18/2009 9:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Rykoshet
Check out http://littlebigstar.net/main/ if you're looking for a fun way to practice. Pop in any guitar pro file and try and play along, you can change tempo on the fly, which makes it a great way to learn a song with a tricky melody.

That looks interesting. I might read up on that some more, but is it accurate reading the guitar? I already have s/w that slows playback tempo without changing pitch (Guitar & Drum trainer $50).
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
07/18/2009 11:55 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboThat looks interesting. I might read up on that some more, but is it accurate reading the guitar? I already have s/w that slows playback tempo without changing pitch (Guitar & Drum trainer $50).

Yes. It's free, just download it and try it. I connect with line-in, but there might be other ways to do it.

It's basically guitar hero for the computer, for a real guitar, and using guitar pro songs you load in. I'm trying to get my cousins on it, but it seems even video games can't get them to like "practice".
# 5
1Life1Chance
1Life1Chance
07/19/2009 1:52 am
i'm definitely going to try out little big star. thanks for the link. maybe i'm just not getting it but wouldn't 250bpm 1/4 notes be the same as 500 bpm 1/8 notes? i still don't see why it doesn't make sense to play every click of 500 bpm rather than 1 and 2 and at 250 bpm.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.