View post (Rig humming for no reason)

View thread

guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
07/13/2009 9:33 pm
Originally Posted by: force_of_shredOk so i went into my guitar room yesterday and turned on my setup and was astonished at this new hum coming from the speakers. Now I went through as many things as i could think of to narrow down the source of the hum. (I unplugged all my pedals and just plugged straight into my amp , Still there. I unplugged my cord from the amp , Still there.I turned off all the lights in the house ,Still there.) I'm getting frustrated I believe the source must be the houses problem (It's really old) I have been considering one of those Hum x things (do they really work/ support all of my gear at once? or are they a poor temporary "Band-aid" covering a far worse problem?, also having said that will a power conditioner solve this problem?
also I don't believe it's the amp because my other amp started doing it as well.

sorry for being so long winded any help here is much appreciated thank you.

Do you have a computer or other electrical devices close by. Is your guitar single coil like a Strat type) or humbuckers(like a Gibson Les Paul). Electrical interference is common and can crop up anywhere.

I would take your amp and guitar to a friends house and try it out, and see what happens.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002