Rig humming for no reason

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
07/11/2009 11:12 pm
Ok so i went into my guitar room yesterday and turned on my setup and was astonished at this new hum coming from the speakers. Now I went through as many things as i could think of to narrow down the source of the hum. (I unplugged all my pedals and just plugged straight into my amp , Still there. I unplugged my cord from the amp , Still there.I turned off all the lights in the house ,Still there.) I'm getting frustrated I believe the source must be the houses problem (It's really old) I have been considering one of those Hum x things (do they really work/ support all of my gear at once? or are they a poor temporary "Band-aid" covering a far worse problem?, also having said that will a power conditioner solve this problem?
also I don't believe it's the amp because my other amp started doing it as well.

sorry for being so long winded any help here is much appreciated thank you.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 1
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
07/13/2009 9:33 pm
Originally Posted by: force_of_shredOk so i went into my guitar room yesterday and turned on my setup and was astonished at this new hum coming from the speakers. Now I went through as many things as i could think of to narrow down the source of the hum. (I unplugged all my pedals and just plugged straight into my amp , Still there. I unplugged my cord from the amp , Still there.I turned off all the lights in the house ,Still there.) I'm getting frustrated I believe the source must be the houses problem (It's really old) I have been considering one of those Hum x things (do they really work/ support all of my gear at once? or are they a poor temporary "Band-aid" covering a far worse problem?, also having said that will a power conditioner solve this problem?
also I don't believe it's the amp because my other amp started doing it as well.

sorry for being so long winded any help here is much appreciated thank you.

Do you have a computer or other electrical devices close by. Is your guitar single coil like a Strat type) or humbuckers(like a Gibson Les Paul). Electrical interference is common and can crop up anywhere.

I would take your amp and guitar to a friends house and try it out, and see what happens.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 2
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
07/15/2009 3:59 am
I was using emg humbuckers, I had turned my computer off while I was in there. anyway it has since then quite humming.
whew.
thanks for the reply
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 3
Mike51
Mike51
08/11/2009 7:09 pm
I have heard cases where a ceiling fan has caused a hum, or enhanced a unnoticed hum in a system. The fan which is nothing more than a motor of wire wrapped spinning batteries can create an electric field.

Someone can go months with no problems and as soon as the temperature goes up and the fan goes on a hum is created. Might not even be in the same room but on the same circuit.

I was once playing underneath a fan and the sound bouncing off the blades was weird to say the least.

Fluorescent lights also cause issues.
# 4
Just.Trey
Just.Trey
10/21/2009 2:56 pm
I moved my rig closer to my PC and as soon as I did I got a hum. Perplexed I thought my amp had problems so I plugged it in elsewhere w/ no hum.

Last night I was @ my PC w/ the monitor off playing my Tele once I turned on the monitor I got the hum. I could turn my back to the monitor and the hum would reduce. So you might want to check to see if your PC is making the interference.

good luck!
# 5
DFX2K9
DFX2K9
10/30/2009 2:04 am
I've got a mini amp into my pc, and it dose hum a little, not really that bad though, Id say cp, namely the power supply of some of the older modles are noisy, those little anti-rodent/pc network connectors also generate magnetic/electric feilds, so it could be a lot of things.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.