Ovation Shallow bowl acoustic

Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
07/09/2009 12:41 am
Hi All,

Looking for a few opinions on...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-GC057-Celebrity-Super-Shallow-Bowl-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-103574752-i1166379.gc

I ventured over to a GC and pretty much spent half a day in the acoustic room there. This is the one that I kept going back to, it felt very comfortable to play, the tone wasn't as full as the others unplugged, but plugged in it did sound pretty sweet through the acoustic amp they had sitting there. I think I have already convinced myself this is the one I want, but would like another opinion or three :)

Thanks!
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 1
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
07/09/2009 4:26 am
The ratings on the site seem pretty much unanimous.

At the end of the day, it's all about feel. My first guitar was a $150 Mansfield acoustic that I still play to this day. My uncle picked it out (I had no idea at the time) but when I picked it up for real after a year or two of messing around with guitars, I said "wow, this sounds pretty good". And sure enough, when my teacher gave it a try, he said it had a real playable bluesy feel, very very easy to play, bright, a great piece of wood basically.

It might actually sound better than a guitar that's 10 times the price, I just got lucky. Likewise, you might get a lemon of a Taylor (super unlikely though), or one that just won't feel right to you.

If you kept coming back to that guitar, chances are it feels good to you, and you'll be able to make it sing well. Pick up it, care for it, and don't look back.

Remember that every single piece of wood is different, and each guitar is assembles differently, if that one feels perfect, chances are you got a great piece of wood put together very skillfully and it shows.

As for it not sounding as bright acoustic...well, even Tommy Emmanuel's guitars are known for being weak without electricity. It might be a tradeoff.

The reviews on the web speak for themselves, and since we can't try the instrument out for you, you know best what sounds good, and it sounds as if you picked well. Good luck!
# 2
Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
07/18/2009 3:41 am
Thanks for the thoughts Rykoshet. You where spot on with your comments :)

Got the guitar today, and do love it. It was my "90 day quit smoking reward" and am absolutely pleased with it. Perhaps that had some influence, but many hours later, some very tired fingers, and an about to be abused polishing cloth, I'm still grinning like a little kid :)

I'm gonna have to say that all those ratings are right, tis a sweet guitar at a sweet price. Or maybe, just got a guitar that likes me as much as I like it :)

Cheers!
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/18/2009 3:26 pm
I like stories with happy endings! :D

When you pick up a guitar that feels 'right' in your hands, there's a special kind of magic in that moment.

Good on yer!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.