Vox ACtv4

mrkbrks
mrkbrks
07/05/2009 5:40 am
I just got a new amp.....the Vox ACtv4 combo amp. It's a 4 watt tube amp with a built in attenuator that can drop to 1 watt and 1/4 watt. It has a 10 inch Celestion speaker. I bought it from American Musical Supply for $229. This thing is bad (in a good way). If you are looking for a great step up amp that isn't too expensive you really need to check this out. It's loud enough on the 4 watt setting that the family could really get annoyed. If you put it down to the lower setting you get a really nice little overdrive/ distortion sound without getting loud. I also bought a Behringer reverb pedal for $29. I also have a Blackheart Little Giant and the reverb pedal sounds great since neither one of the amps have a built in reverb. Both amps are great but they definately have different sounds.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/08/2009 1:01 am
It looks like you've got a good amp there, and your post is a good start. You need to add some more to your post to create an acceptable review, though. Please read the rules for posting in this part of the forum, >click here< so that you show people what this amp looks like, what you like about it, and what you think could be better. Unless you can provide a proper review, this thread is more appropriate to Gear Review, and it will be moved there.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
09/16/2009 4:09 am
I recently purchased this amp from Guitar Center for about the same price. This is my first tube amp. I have always wanted one but they were also always so expensive and I dont have a need or room (at least for now) for a giant combo or stack setup. I have played mostly on a Line6 Spider 3 and an old Marchall 15 watt valvestate. I really didn't know what I was missing. Since I have joined this website I have become much more serious about playing and searching for my own tone.

I recently bought a very nice Gibson SG Diablo! The dealer at the shop asked if I had a nice tube amp to play it thru. I told him the amps I hade and he was like, "Dude, you have GOT to get a good tube to play that thru."

While I was at the shop, I plugged that SG into several tube amps, large ones, and I was completely blown away! However, having just purchased a quite spendy axe, I refrained from spending another grand on a rightious amp.

When I took the SG home and played on my Valvestate, and Line6, I was like pfft. NOTHING but a tube is really gonna make this sing! I had my taiste of blood so to speak.

I went back to the shop a few days later to see what I could find. I had heard about this little Vox amp, and the little Fender Champion. SO i tried them both out. The Fender was about 150. and the Vox was about 240. The Vox seemed FAR superior in every way.

The tone was crystal clear, just like the huge, expensive setups, except maybe a little less bassy (smaller speaker and cab). Cranking it up was surprisingly loud for 4 watts. Also by cranking it, you get that destictive tube grit! The attenuator is an awesome touch. You can cut the amps power down from 4, to 1 or even 1/4 watt. You can still get that overdriven tube sound without disturbing the peace.

The vintage coloring is a nice touch too. However the rubberized simulated tweed athough durable im sure, looks a little too fake and "plasticy". A gain and reverb setting would have been nice, but you can put pedals behind it for that.

All in all, if you are serious about playing, and serious about sound, go ahead and spend a little more for this thing. You will be VERY glad you did. It is sturdy, versitile and VERY pro sounding. Even when you "grow up" as a player, you will likely start gigging or something and need something with more juice. But I am sure you will keep this baby around for practice at home or back stage. It will certainly last!

Go try one, once you go tube, you will never go back!
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/16/2009 11:27 am
Originally Posted by: Infinite-T
...once you go tube, you will never go back!

3 or 4 months ago I might have disagreed with you. But shopping for nothing in particular one day I ended up coming home with a 5 Watt Fender Vibro Champ. It lacks the attenuator and actually has a s/s preamp for effects & modelling. ...And those wonderfully glowing tubes! :D Previously I'd been using a 20 watt s/s Peavey Audition Plus. That quickly went on 'back up' duty.

Congrats to you both!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/17/2009 6:18 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings... Unless you can provide a proper review, this thread is more appropriate to Gear Review, and it will be moved there.

Like this.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.