rythme playing? + Afterthoughts

caponi14
caponi14
06/30/2009 7:12 pm
The name of the thread say it all. I would like to know how i can spice my rythme playing. The only thing i can do when improvising is playing the same stupid powerchords (with an interval of a 5'th) over the tracks. Depending on which key ofcourse. And i have a real hard time learning all sections of my favorite songs...

Resently iv just been feeling like quitting guitar! It's more frustrating than i could ever imagine when i first started out....Im not getting any better?
Seems like the only advises iv been getting is around scales, iv tried that and it diden't work in the way i want it too...it's a great theory background ofcourse, but im not getting any better at ''playing'' music. I want to play music, not just be a ''technical'' guitar phyco.

I hope maybe a private teacher can help me....or maybe it's me being a total non-talent!? Has everyone gone through the same path that im going through right now?

I don't seem to evolve either as a lead guitarist, or rythmeguitarist. It's expecially rythme guitar that i lack in....

I quess a private teacher would be the thing i need?

i really can't belive that i have not even learned any full songs yet with the exeption of knocking on heavens door (guns N roses version)
And iv been playing 1 year now.

Am i maybe overtrying to play proper guitar? Am i trying too hard? 4 hour practice every day...

Don't let me be a pain in the ass, or a waste of your time. I just felt like telling someone, you know.....

Playing music is suppose to be fun, speaking the truth it's not fun for me. Just hard work, too hard
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/01/2009 12:32 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14The name of the thread say it all. I would like to know how i can spice my rythme playing. The only thing i can do when improvising is playing the same stupid powerchords (with an interval of a 5'th) over the tracks. Depending on which key ofcourse. And i have a real hard time learning all sections of my favorite songs...

Resently iv just been feeling like quitting guitar! It's more frustrating than i could ever imagine when i first started out....Im not getting any better?
Seems like the only advises iv been getting is around scales, iv tried that and it diden't work in the way i want it too...it's a great theory background ofcourse, but im not getting any better at ''playing'' music. I want to play music, not just be a ''technical'' guitar phyco.

I hope maybe a private teacher can help me....or maybe it's me being a total non-talent!? Has everyone gone through the same path that im going through right now?

I don't seem to evolve either as a lead guitarist, or rythmeguitarist. It's expecially rythme guitar that i lack in....

I quess a private teacher would be the thing i need?

i really can't belive that i have not even learned any full songs yet with the exeption of knocking on heavens door (guns N roses version)

Am i maybe overtrying to play proper guitar? Am i trying too hard? 4 hour practice every day...

Don't let me be a pain in the ass, or a waste of your time. I just felt like telling someone, you know.....

Playing music is suppose to be fun, speaking the truth it's not fun for me. Just hard work, too hard

I definitely think you're too hard on yourself. Maybe take a step back from all the theory and have your teacher show you some songs. I know in other threads it was mentioned that learning other peoples stuff is a great way to learn in a sort of apprentice-like way.

Like you said, you don't want to be the psycho-techno player. Step away from the theory part of it for a while and just learn songs and build you ear to connect what those songs are doing.

Ask your teacher for that change but explain why. Once you start learning other peoples stuff, lots of those theories you learned come together. Like learning to drive a car, the book can tell you but you still need to drive the car to be good at it. You've practicing in the 'book' phase of guitar playing. Get some help connecting to some songs.

My thought, anyway.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/01/2009 12:55 pm

Doing the theory thing takes up alot of time and to be honest, I probably spend most of my time just "expressing" when I play with no real direction, so I also have not learned a whole lot of new stuff. It's just something always on my To Do list!

Maybe you just want to focus on that for a bit. With your kind of practice time, you could probably build up some good sets pretty quick! I use iTunes and keep a "Working List" to which I add a new song every now and again. Then, when the mood is upon me I just run thru them all like I was playing a set, or work on the latest one, whatever I feel like. Sometimes, I don't touch my list for days and just "express" by myself or with backing tracks.

You could maybe focus on just building up 30 or 40 minutes of songs you can accompany right thru. Not so much to get each one perfect. The idea is just to get a list that you know but not necessarily well.

My feeling is that you are putting too much effort into playing perfectly. (JMHO :) ) As you run thru your working list, you'll perfect each song over time. In the mean time, you will soon have several that may not be perfect note for note, but that you are comfortable with all the parts.

I dunno. It's hard to suggest what might weork best for you. This is the approach that keeps me happy, because that's the most important part of it all.

As far as rythmn playing, my Dad used to say that Lead players are a dime a dozen but good rythmn players are hard to find. The finesse is something that will come over time. But, again, you may need to simply accept that it will come and focus more on enjoying (and learning new songs) and just let that happen. It is inevitable.

I personally struggle hard with rythmn on the electric. I used to consider myself pretty good, but that was on acoustic, and I had a certain "style" that I just accepted as me. I still have good timing, but I am finding on electric I am sadly lacking the finesse I want to have.

We're all in the same boat one way or another. To me the important thing to remember is that there are lots of approaches to learning and sometimes that's just playing. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2009 1:53 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14I would like to know how i can spice my rythme playing.
[/quote]
Did you already work through my chord inversions practice tutorials? Those will show you hundreds of variations on simple chords and progressions. Especially to get past just playing power chords.
Originally Posted by: caponi14
And i have a real hard time learning all sections of my favorite songs...
[/quote]
Why? Are the parts too difficult? Do you need to pick some different songs that are more beginner level before trying harder songs? Do you spend time completely, totally memorizing one section to get it down before you move to the next section?
Originally Posted by: caponi14Seems like the only advises iv been getting is around scales, iv tried that and it diden't work in the way i want it too...
[/quote]
In what way do you want practicing scales to work?

A private teacher is always worth trying. :)
[QUOTE=caponi14]i really can't belive that i have not even learned any full songs yet with the exeption of knocking on heavens door (guns N roses version)

There are hundreds of other songs that have the same level and type of chords as in that song. Are you sure you've really been trying to find and learn other songs? And after a year of practicing many students only have the basics down and are ready to try more intermediate skills.
[QUOTE=caponi14]Am i trying too hard? 4 hour practice every day...

Exactly what are you practicing for 4 hours every day?!
[QUOTE=caponi14]

If you are not having fun, and it seems like too much work for you, then you might want to rethink how much you desire to learn to play music on the guitar.

Because, I am here to tell you: it is very long and hard work.

Playing music is one of the most wonderful things in the world. Anything that is worth so much is going to be hard work. And is going to take a long time to accomplish. So if you aren't in this for the long haul, now might be a good time to think about putting your free time to a different use.

But on the other hand ...

If you are really serious about playing the guitar, then now is the time to realize a few things.

1. Learning to play music is hard work.
2. It takes a long time to get exactly right.
3. Time will pass regardless of how you spend it, so it's best to put that passing time to good use than waste it.

What else are you going to do with your time? And as Paul Gilbert says, "What could be more fun than PRACTICING ELECTRIC GUITAR?!?!?"

:)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2009 2:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo
I personally struggle hard with rythmn on the electric. I used to consider myself pretty good, but that was on acoustic, and I had a certain "style" that I just accepted as me. I still have good timing, but I am finding on electric I am sadly lacking the finesse I want to have.

I've seen this more than a few times.

Typically the problem is that acoustic players really dig in and bang away on their dreadnaughts. Then when they try to apply that approach to electric it fails because it is a different beast.

So, I suggest two things.

1. Back off of the whack-a-whack-a acoustic strumming. Just hit a chord lightly and let it ring. Pick a good rhythmic spot for the next chord and let it ring.

2. Learn to play sparcely note wise. Instead of trying to play huge full chords like filling up all the sonic space (typical acoustic technique), just play 3 note triads and inversions. Realize that in electric guitar music the bass, drums, vocals and other guitars will pick up the sonic slack. They all need sonic space to "sit it". So, don't try to take up too much of that space with your one rhythm electric guitar part.

Make sense? :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
caponi14
caponi14
07/02/2009 8:20 am
i quess i just need to practice some easier songs then.

i practice everything you tell me to do, in those 4 hour sessions. And it's starting to shape up a bit. I just needs small breaks from it if there is very much materials, like the big lists you always give me Chris :o (Iv made it to the ''how to practice triads'' parts)

It's just mostly the tabs for the songs i want to learn, that i get confused about. with the timing, especially if it's fast ofcourse. (how long should it take for a proper guitarist to learn a full new song?)

I think what you told me Razbo is actually a good idea i will try it out!

i think im better than i know, i just can't admit it to myself i think (cause evryone tells me that i sound like a real rocker).... And yeah, theres a difference from have played 1 year, instead of 10... I will give it time, i have a tendency to get unpatient.

No way im ever putting the guitar down, nomatter how sick and tired i am of it...I will break through the walls sooner or later.

Could somebody give me a list of easy rock songs that i should learn?
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/02/2009 5:47 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelI've seen this more than a few times.

Typically the problem is that acoustic players really dig in and bang away on their dreadnaughts. Then when they try to apply that approach to electric it fails because it is a different beast.

So, I suggest two things.

1. Back off of the whack-a-whack-a acoustic strumming. Just hit a chord lightly and let it ring. Pick a good rhythmic spot for the next chord and let it ring.

2. Learn to play sparcely note wise. Instead of trying to play huge full chords like filling up all the sonic space (typical acoustic technique), just play 3 note triads and inversions. Realize that in electric guitar music the bass, drums, vocals and other guitars will pick up the sonic slack. They all need sonic space to "sit it". So, don't try to take up too much of that space with your one rhythm electric guitar part.

Make sense? :)

It does, because that is exactly the case! It's one of those things that, even knowing it, it is difficult to change. I played acoustic for quite a while and banging away to be heard over the street noise and basically keeping a bass beat on the guitar body is second nature and hard to quit. As is the instinct to play chords full out. Even power chording I tend to form full barres, even if I am only striking a couple of strings.

But I am making progress. Just like Caponi! :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
sleonard82255
sleonard82255
07/11/2009 7:44 pm
One of the things that I have learned over my years of playing both acoustic and electric guitar, is that jamming with a friend or finding other guitarists/musicians to play with is one of the greatest ways to get out of the "I'm not getting any better" doldrums. I'm self taught and learned completely by ear. I played solo for many years and thought that i had hit a wall with my playing and technique. I played the same songs over and over, because I knew them, but they didnt seem to sound any better. A work associate mentioned that he played guitar and asked me to join him one evening to jam. This turned out to be a huge milestone in my musical career. He showed me some new songs and techniques that just blew my mind. Some things (bad habits) that I had been doing were holding me back. My friend, on the other hand, is an accomplished musician enjoys some of the things that I have shown to him as well. He says because I never had lessons, that my technique is raw and he really enjoys the "unstructuredness" of my playing. We have now started a band and I am learning new songs, chord positions, lead lines, etc that are easy but a challenge. I could have been playing all along. I've really started to re-learn guitar
Bottom line, work with as many musicians as you can to learn new things. The guitar is an amazing instrument and has many possibilities, many sounds. Lessons are a great thing but make sure that you learn from many instructors and dont limit yourself to any one style.
# 8
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/12/2009 10:23 pm
One of the things that I have learned over my years of playing both acoustic and electric guitar, is that jamming with a friend or finding other guitarists/musicians to play with is one of the greatest ways to get out of the "I'm not getting any better" doldrums. I'm self taught and learned completely by ear. I played solo for many years and thought that i had hit a wall with my playing and technique. I played the same songs over and over, because I knew them, but they didnt seem to sound any better. A work associate mentioned that he played guitar and asked me to join him one evening to jam. This turned out to be a huge milestone in my musical career. He showed me some new songs and techniques that just blew my mind. Some things (bad habits) that I had been doing were holding me back. My friend, on the other hand, is an accomplished musician enjoys some of the things that I have shown to him as well. He says because I never had lessons, that my technique is raw and he really enjoys the "unstructuredness" of my playing. We have now started a band and I am learning new songs, chord positions, lead lines, etc that are easy but a challenge. I could have been playing all along. I've really started to re-learn guitar
Bottom line, work with as many musicians as you can to learn new things. The guitar is an amazing instrument and has many possibilities, many sounds. Lessons are a great thing but make sure that you learn from many instructors and dont limit yourself to any one style.

That's good advice sleonard82255, everybody needs some picking buddies. I also agree with what you said about not limiting yourself to just one style. For 17 years I limited myself, and would only play Bluegrass, and only on an acoustic too. The few electric guitars I had were just for fun, and learning a cool rock riff every once in a while. I listened to all kinds of music for years, but only picked up bits and pieces of songs. It wasn't until late in 93, when I joined another songwriter, and put together a band that I realized what was missing. I was trying to play hot country leads on an acoustic, didn't sound bad, but it didn't have the bite that a tele does.

I've learned about 1700 cover tunes in several genres since then, and still doing the originals too. From Bill Monroe, Merle Haggard, to Metallica, but I don't get much of a call for metal out here. Mostly country, and classic rock out this way, but I'm still glad I know the other styles too. Playing a little of everything was how I kept working in Nashville, and on the road too.

Congrats on the band, and learning new songs too. The band I play with is picking up new songs this week too, one song has a slide so that could be a challenge. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and keep on picking.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.