Guitar DIMENSIONS & Co! (body, neck, colors)

sansa
sansa
06/28/2009 10:04 am
Hi! I'm practising on building guitars and now I'm wondering many many things that I can't find easily on the web. I have just bought a milling machine(it's great!) and I was just looking for some necks(ok, it's too difficult I'm a beginner).

So I begin from the most important: BODY THICKNESS
I would like to know the dimensions of Fender unusual model's, Gibson's, Rickenbacker's, PRS's and danelectro(why not?) bodies... Fender most famous ones are written in every guitar site I know(I write it here too: 1 3/4") but the others are forgotten by everyone...
So anyone know it????? Well if you have a template(so difficult to find them) it's better! :)

Second: COLORS
I just can't find standard colors on the web. Just people who make paint job for you and want so much money! I have first to find the right color and second understand what kind of paint is ok..
Like you know Nitro, Poliester, there are many water paints, oil paint etc. Or I tested Shellac with Pumice that is incredibly cheaper than the other but you have to spend much time to make it...
And one other question: what paint is compatible with an other one. Like Nitro filler necessarily with nitro colors, poliester not imperatively with colors with the same substance; But Shellac?? I know it's not compatible with nitro but there are many many other colors I could try with.

A little suggestion for beginners: SWIRL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUEbXAm-hY&feature=fvst

Third: NECK and SCALE
Know the thickness of some neck (at nut and at 12th fret)?
In ibanez.com you can see every guitar has a great description for the neck too. But the other guitars Rickenbacker, Danelectro, Gretsch etc. not one word for these great guitars.
And Scale? There are many sites with Fender's and Gibson's scales but not for the same old guitars...

Anyway basses too they're not mentioned in guitar sites like Framus! They don't make those great instruments since 60's or 70's. Short scale basses with wooden brigde, hollow body and special thin neck. Sounds Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones got one. See this great bass: STAR BASS DELUXE http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/modells/instruments.php?modellID=84&katID=4622&cl=EN
and see the description...

Any guitar expert can post his knowledge of luthiery experiences or if you have some good templates you can share here.
Thank you everyone
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/28/2009 10:43 am
There's no value in making exact copies of existing guitar models. The market is already flooded with knock-offs. When you build your own, you should do so because you have hit on a combination of materials and dimensions that you think provides unique (and better) results.

The knowledge you seek would fill many books. And in fact there are quite a few such books at the >StewMac< luthier supply shop. Tools too.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Caseycasem767
Caseycasem767
06/28/2009 5:23 pm
hes right just sit there and imagine a super piece and it will be!
# 3
sansa
sansa
06/30/2009 8:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Caseycasem767hes right just sit there and imagine a super piece and it will be!

No no maybe I didn't explain myself good.
I would like the dimesions to build guitars already done before:
-because I could make a guitar which sucks..and it's better I follow a "tested" project
-because I save money and I build my favorite guitar..maybe they don't produce this kind of vintage guitars...I'm not just talking about fender but very expensive or unhobtanaible Gibsons, Rickenbackers and Gretschs etc.

I mean with a very low cost I can make a 2000 dollars guitar!! Or a guitar I can't find..like Framus Basses
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/05/2009 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: sansaNo no maybe I didn't explain myself good.
I would like the dimesions to build guitars already done before:
-because I could make a guitar which sucks..and it's better I follow a "tested" project
-because I save money and I build my favorite guitar..maybe they don't produce this kind of vintage guitars...I'm not just talking about fender but very expensive or unhobtanaible Gibsons, Rickenbackers and Gretschs etc.

I mean with a very low cost I can make a 2000 dollars guitar!! Or a guitar I can't find..like Framus Basses

Not to rain on your parade, but for your first guitar you are likely going to have to settle for "adequate" and be very proud you did it yourself. :)

I recently finished my first. It was neither cheap, nor was it "Gibson quality". (I might give it "Epiphony", though :D ). Maybe you are a super-skilled wood worker, but for myself I doubt that even by my 3rd guitar I'll achieve the same quality of guitar as a luthier with decades of experience.

Then there is the cost. If you have not, you should add up a list of every piece of wood, wire, switch, knob, screw, shielding, pickguard, pick up, tuner, bridge, ferrule, fret, rod, nut, retainer, etc that you will need.

http://www.guitargranny.com/ has a few sets of plans. I have a couple sets and they appear to be pretty good reproductions.

FWIW, I ordered them with the intention of reproducing the guitars as you plan to do, but in the end, decided to make something entirely "my own". At least that way, no one could say I did it wrong. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.