View post (How to come about writing songs)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/27/2009 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: slickjesusThanks for your post BlueToad. You are right, I have no music theory what so ever. However I have no trouble coming up with a I-IV-V chord change, 12 bar progression etc. not unlike Lauen (see above) and then words. Or conversely, I'll write words then the music. Think how many songs have the same three chords, yet the count, and the tune will be entirely different from song to song.I do understand this is what music notation is for, yet, playing by ear, I need something a bit more accommodating. I can't be alone in this dilemma. What do others of you who are self taught do? How do you write your music so that when you play the song it sounds as it did when you wrote it?

Two things I would think you'd need to do:

Know the chord names and location such as; Chord A, 6 string, 5th Fret.

Second is to record what you write. Whether aa full blown recording set up or those little handheld recorders, find something to audibly get what you're writing or riffing or even to hum in to. Also, don't plat it and forget it. constantly run the melody through your head and develop it. In most cases, that good riff gets a little more finesse and that much better. Few riffs are great out of the box.

I'm self taught but learned enough to at least have a conversation about working out a riff or the they key of a riff. I'm also here at GT not so much to learn how to play but to learn the theory and knowledge I didn't get the many years ago when I started. You are here at GT and it a wealth of knowledge, utilize it.